View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 10:59 PM   #129
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

BEZZOOOMY funkstars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlttrGrrl
Shut it down! shut it down! This is really truly stupid and absurd. And I thought the dr forum people were bad...

It's called a TOPIC people! seriously...
AAAAh don't go there foo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmeanie
I dunno whether the comments were racists or not, but just had to say something about this bit since it irks me when people say stuff like that - there is no such thing as 'speaking the english language intelligently'. 'English', just like every other language, is made up of different forms or dialects, which all have their own grammar or language rules. The type of language which people were mocking is just a dialect like any other. No one dialect is more or less complex than another, and so can't be used to gauge intelligence. There is an idea that there is a correct way of speaking, but this is a social idea, not based on linguistic fact. If you mean they aren't using 'standard english', then that's true, but standard english is also a dialect, again no less or more complex than other forms.
was gonna say! true that!

H, political satire is one thing, but u can't go round screaming what u fancy. Not cos u've got no right to. But because it'll causes chaos.

Carvin, put ur head in an ice bucket, and chill. even taking the piss out of someone's voice is harsh. Irrispective of their colour. Although i respect u defending urself against being called a racist, That doesn't mean ur not being prejudiced. Just cos prejudice against the under-educated, the illiterate, the working classes, or even those who just have their own speaking form, isn't as taboo as racism, it doesn't mean it isn't as damaging.

Spam. I can't be bothered to fall into some tit-for-tat debate wit ya, so i'll say nout. I think u backed off now so no need to be telling ya ta chill atleast. Glad spoke out or whatever, but i think u missed the mark. that's my opinion though, and i'd rather leave it at that.

Doors. I think the fact is words only mean the intentions behind them. Nigger is primarily identified with degrading the black person it refers to. That's the feeling behind it. so if you say it it's oftern asumed that's what you mean to imply. A black person is generally considered to say the word in terms of comeradeship. So that is generally accepted. I understand what u say about double standards. So the diction warfare can only subside when social change takes place and black self-image is clarified.

Can we (everyone) leave it at that (the race issue that is)?

Last edited by PenguinBoy; 08-31-2006 at 11:10 PM.