View Single Post
Old 09-30-2003, 09:57 AM   #36
framesaver
Eskimo Regular

Wahey - missed this one....

Anyway, i really think a lot of people here have made valid points about the whole trade issue. Like somebody said, it's not that the tapers and traders in Ireland are behind the times, its the infrastructure that supports it that's severely lacking. Sure, I'd have been able to set up an FTP long ago with plenty of shns on it, but to be honest, there'd only have been about six people in the whole country with the bandwidth to do anything with it.

The Ricer sharing community in Ireland very much sprung up from those sweet days when audiogalaxy was alive. The same goes for the Frames. That's why a lot of the early shows, when Damien was still pretty much unheard of, really exist only in the main public domain as mp3s. Indeed, many people who first touched base on Audiogalaxy still trade with proper audio cds today.

Don't forget, surprising as it may seem, that burners are a relatively newly available resource here too. And as for actual taping equipment, I'd be frankly surprised if you walked into even the best of our electrical stores today (even Peat's) asking for a K943D Excalibur DAT (Or something like that) and didn't get thrown out for using bad language. Therefore most shows, I'm afraid, will be recorded on an MD, and, if you're lucky, at least with a semi decent stereo mic. (Though I do know of frames stuff recorded on a regular condenser computer mic that still sounds pretty good...).

I know the quality of bootlegs is expected to be much higher in America, thanks to DMB and DG, but you've probably just got to accept that soundboards are out the window (I hate them anyway - Jeez the Union Chapel gig sounds dull - AUDs are far more warm and fuzzy and reminiscint of the gig you were at. Mmmmmhmmmm.) and that super high quality tape rigs clamped six inches from the speaker with a bass roll and several direct digital conversions through six or seven bits of processing gear aren't likely this decade either. Sorry to sound so cynical but that's the likelihood in Ireland anyway. Of course, what with the boy's new found fame in the US, I'm sure plenty will make their way out from there.

Info files are a rarity here, I appreciate that - Scon up there has been a trooper in trying to address that issue - I will admit I haven't done anything to help as yet, which is criminal saying as I taped a fair few of the shows here. I solemnly swear to make amends for this. Tsk tsk.

I get people offering to pay for bootlegs all the time - All I do is say I don't sell and offer a b&p if they have nothing to trade. Does my page really come across as offering to sell them? (Feedback here gladly welcomed)

But anyway, I've gone on waaaay too long. The FTP sounds like a great way to improve the transatlantic trade channels - Till now its been very much 3 or 4 people either side of the water doing all the swapping and then spreading it in inside their own jurisdictions, which works fine, but is pretty slow I admit. When I get some time I'll try and get round to SHN-ing & info-ing the shows I taped, and upload them. Till then best of luck with the endeavour...

Dub be good to y'all,

Geoff

http://framesaver.tripod.comEdited by: framesaver
framesaver is offline   Reply With Quote