View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 07:15 PM   #25
Rai
Eskimontologist

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7012673.stm

Burmese military announces curfew

Burma's military leaders have imposed a dusk-to-dawn curfew in the main cities Rangoon and Mandalay, which have seen escalating anti-government protests.
Armed troops have now been deployed after tens of thousands of Buddhist monks and civilians again defied the army's warning to stay off the streets.

World leaders at the UN General Assembly have condemned the situation.

President George W Bush said the US was "outraged" by Burma's human rights record and announced further sanctions.

These include US visa restrictions on the Burmese leadership and their financial backers, Mr Bush said.

Analysts say further sanctions are unlikely to be effective without the support of Burma's main trade partners, China and India.

Opening the assembly, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon urged Burma's military rulers to show restraint after more than a week of growing protests.

Earlier, close ally China called for stability and the EU also urged the junta to show restraint and launch a process of real political reform.

Tens of thousands of monks and civilians marched through Rangoon in the latest in more than a week of protests.

Some chanted "we want dialogue" while others simply shouted "democracy, democracy".

After the march finished, eyewitnesses told two news agencies they had seen several military trucks moving on Rangoon's streets.

Reuters reported that eight trucks of armed riot police and 11 trucks of troops had moved into the city's centre.

The military announced the curfew through loudspeakers on vehicles cruising through the streets.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote