View Single Post
Old 11-12-2016, 05:43 AM   #6
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

When my wife told me this devastating news yesterday my first thought was "My God, can this year possibly get much worse?". That's now THREE of the greatest songwriters of all time we have lost in less than 12 months. Plus, Donald Fuggin' Trump just secured ALL FOUR branches of the US Government for the Republican party for, at the barest minimum, two years and some for as much as the next 45.

But then I almost immediately felt a little better when I recalled these three fascinating somewhat interrelated occurrances in regards to the power of how instantly yet deeply we can each forever effect one another's lives:

"Like a bird on the wire
Like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried, in my way,
To be free."

Fellow legendary songwriter Kris Kristofferson famously vowed to have those words printed on his own tombstone.

Over a decade ago, one of the old Eskimos here sent a letter to Leonard Cohen telling him about DR along with an invite to his upcoming show in LA. He actually wrote back to thank them saying while he couldn't go to the concert, he'd be on the lookout for Mr. Rice's work.

Just a few years later: I was so grateful that Damo reached such a point in his success where he not only met his idol, not only sang a cover of his most re-recorded song for him at his induction to the RnRHOF but even got to know him well enough to open on tour together.

We should all be so lucky to receive the opportunity to inspire those who have done so for us.

Last edited by Spamlet; 11-12-2016 at 05:46 AM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote