View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #90
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmigliaccio View Post
Mario's done a lot more for this fan community than most. He's responsible for many live tapings and for putting together the live archive. He has every right to say what he feels.

I think he's being a bit cynical about Damien's intentions, but I'm with him that announcing projects and then never following through (especially when they haven't been replaced by anything else - it's not like he said he would release a live album and gave us a studio one instead, there's been literally almost nothing for 5+ years) is disappointing. If he can tell a magazine about his relationship, he can communicate with his fans every now and then.

you guys must have some interesting connections with bands or are fans of bands im not. what he does and is doing is normal. Tool is a band that acts alot like Damien. They havent released a new album since 2006 either and we get "they are in the studio" "they arent recording at all" all the time. Radiohead is another band like this. Radiohead has their website to talk to fans but usually they just release the album when they feel like. you dont get thom or johnny giving updates from the studio normally.

indeed people on this board can say and believe whatever they want. doesnt make it true or ethical. and to expect an artist to check in, update us, to give us an album every few years, is insane, just flat out insane. Its not how the real world works. if you want to think thats how art of any kind is created, you are more than welcome to believe it. but just know thats not reality.

The idea that artists need to be there for fans, to update us on their lives or their albums or art is i think a result of twitter and facebook, but also i think its a dangerous attitude to have. When you start expecting artists to cater to your own needs, to update you, to fill you in, to give you a product, i think thats naive, and more than a little disturbing.

Ultimately all art is created out of love. The artist loves what they are doing, and or needs to express something. In all mediums this is the case. Daniel Day Lewis didnt make There Will Be Blood to satiate fans and to give them a product because he was worried they'd be angry with him. He did it because he loved the script, the director and the story.

This isnt unique. I think its an incredibly disturbing trend if people on here are demanding he update them, give them an album and talk to them. His job is to make music, art period. End of story. And its all artists right to not make art. He can put out a record every year, or never make another record again and become a farmer again in italy. Thats his life. When you start talking about dictating artists lives and how they do their art thats frankly a scary and bizaare step to take. Its not reality.

The fact is he created the 2 albums not for you, or anyone on here. But for himself and because he was obviously feeling heavy emotions. If you think he made the records for any other reason you are out of your mind.

You guys need to get out more. You act like he's the only musician that doesnt update fans or put out music every few years. Ever heard of fiona apple? havent heard squat from her in 6 ot 7 years then this year announces she has a new record out in a few months. She certainly didnt keep us updated.

Get out and experience life people.

Pretty sad if art has become all about satiating fans and not about art made for the pure love of art.
radiohead33 is offline   Reply With Quote