View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #44
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

I’m soo sorry this is an extremely long post, but I didn’t want to leave anything out.

The evening didn’t start that well. There was a group of about 10 people (including all 3 of us argentinian eskimos) with a misprint on the ticket. They would let us in, but we didn’t have a seat number, so they just made us wait and wait while the rest of the people got seated. The girl inside told us “Guys, don’t get mad at me, the problem was that it’s always with tables but Damien something wanted to have seats”. Yup, she said that, I’m not kidding.
We went outside, we tried to make them understand that we got the tickets on the first day so we were supposed to be on the first rows, central. Those seats were already taken. We stayed there waiting for about half an hour, everyone was in, and it was about 15-20 minutes past the hour the show was supposed to start.
Then the manager comes and says it was a Ticketek (the ticket selling company) error, they couldn’t do anything, but he offered to give us the money back. We told him we didn’t care about the money, we just wanted to get in up front, where we were supposed to be, we even would sit on the floor. So he sent some of people up on the balcony and Vere, the guy from Bahia Blanca (I’m soooo sorry I can’t remember your name), me and a couple more went and sit on the aisle. (oh, yeah they gave us the money back also ) There were a couple of free seats, so some of us seated (I was on the third row, I had a perfect view!!!)

Anyway… the show started around 9.30 I think, after all of this I lost track of time. I don’t wanna steal Vere’s thunder, so she should tell you what Damien’s first words to the audience were

I can’t remember the setlist, he started with The Professor & Le Fille Danse. Then he sang Delicate, Older Chests, 9 crimes, Woman, Like a Man, Childish, intro to coconut skins (video),Coconut Skins.
“So the weather is rather… warm” LOL he was in like an oven up there.
At some point he was tuning his guitar, everyone was quiet, I wanted to request Insane but I was too shy… he said “so…” maybe he was about to tell a story, but at the same moment I thought oh, f*ck it, I’ll ask for it and I shouted “Insane!!”. He said “Sorry?” I said “Insane” and someone else (who turned out to be Allison, our canandian eskimo) said “Yes, please!” and someone else said “Yeah!” so he said “Ok, this is for the 3 people who know this song”. And while playing it, he broke a string. So as he went to grab a new one he said “So, whoever wanted Insane… you broke my string”. LOL I’m sorry, damo.

Then, while changing it, he said something like “I’m in vacations right now I’m travelling solo, there’s usually 20 people around me, so someone would do this for me, but now you’re gonna have a lesson in changing a string”. But people started shouting things like “Where are you staying?, How long are you staying?” or something like that which made him chuckle and it all turn out to be a chat and after a while he said “I was supposed to teach you how to change a string… you put this thing out, then put the string in, then put the thing back in. the you turn this thing and put the string in this hole and turn this thing and then you stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch” hahahaha that was hilarious. A girl at the front row asked him to take the old string and he said “you want that? Yes, of course… (whispering to the mic) weirdooooo”
Another story: “I told a friend of mine I was coming to Buenos Aires. I told her it was mid January, end of January and she said ‘What? There’s no one in Buenos Aires in January. Only crazy people stay there in January’. So thank you, crazy people, for coming to the show”
Ok, so I don’t want to make this too long. After that someone requested Elephant. I’m not sure about the order, but he played Accidental Babies (“can we get the lights down? Down… down… more… this is a down song… really sad” everyone laughed and he smiled), Amie (with the usual story, the girl telling him to look at the starts for a sign), Eskimo, an intro story to volcano, the same as in Mexico (there’s a link in the other thread) Volcano… oh men, that’s another moment to keep. “Whoever thinks that can sing, please come up on stage” 2 people went right up, one of them, Vere “we need about 20 people”. Everyone wanted to get up there!! I did. I was on the right side of the stage, on the first group.
Here’s a clip of us singing http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=69dw1v&s=5

And then no one wanted to get back down!! Everyone hugged him and kissed him. I got to touch his back but then had to go back down. We stayed on the floor of the aisle after that.
Then he said he had to finish, so he wanted to know what time it was and no one would tell him LOL He sang Cold Water (with absolutely NO lights on) & Hallelujah, Cannonball (without mic), left and then came back for the encore. He played The Blower’s Daughter and then finished with Cheers Darlin’.

It was over 2 hours I think, but it felt like 10 minutes. We stayed outside a while. Richard comes and says “That’s his van out there”. So we stayed waiting, we sat outside, ate pizza, drank beer. There were about 10 of us in the group, Vere and his friends, Allison, Richard and the other guys we met before the show (again, very sorry I forgot your names!!). And there were about 15 more people waiting also.
At about 12.45 he comes out so we got to say hi to him, he hugged and kissed many people, me one of them, after I apologized, again, for breaking his string. “Oh, it was you?” “yeah, I’m sorry” hahahaha I guess he’ll remember when he had to change a string on the Buenos Aires show. We thanked him for coming here, he said he had lots of fun, but he had to go. He was the nicest guy!!
Here’s a vid of him coming out. http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2hz672w&s=5

I tried to record it, but I think the mp3 player run out of batteries and it didn’t save it. The pics aren’t too good, I was too shaky and I didn’t want to use the flash, it’s really annoying. But here are a few ones

“Damian” something

The professor

I think this one was during woman like a man

Storytelling…

Preparing for cheers darlin’

(He then spelled a lot of wine on his shirt)

To all the guys, it was SO wonderful to meet you. I hope we can do this another time!!
Vere, you rock. Thanks for organizing everything and waiting with me to take the bus.

here's a review (in spanish). click on "Ver galeria", there are 9 pics.
http://www.rollingstone.com.ar/nota....46730&toi=5905