View Single Post
Old 07-26-2006, 05:53 PM   #20
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
oh man that sucks they nabbed your mic! good on ya for trying tho! btw, do you guys call the cops 'the nab'? or is that an eastern iowa thing only? and y'know i befriended you on myspace the day before the gig, so i was going off your pic on there when i tried to spot you.. i must have been thrown off by the lack of gangsta colors

honestly hun, i don't mean to make your heart any heavier, but i also had an encounter.. though if it's any comfort i wasn't composed AT ALL! i was kind of shy to talk about it at first but what the hell..

i didn't stay for fiona, i got up as soon as damien finished his set and went outside to have a smoke. i thought i'd walk around back by the tour buses because i thought i had seen jonathon going in those doors when we pulled up to the venue.. and lo and behold there was himself (also having a smoke) with earl harvin and someone else, i don't remember who..

i started to walk up toward the back stairs where they were standing to say hello, and a security guy came out the door and said "can i help you?" (in the scary intimidating security guy way) and i caught damien's eye and waved and said "i just wanted to say hello to damien", and he was really sweet and waved back at me and said "i'll just come over there" and came over to talk to me.. at that point i kind of had this urge to turn tail and run because he was actually coming over to talk to me! but i stood my ground and tried not to pass out

i was very nervous and probably sounded like an idiot, since i don't generally go up to speak to people i've never met, let alone someone i admire.. anyway i introduced myself and shook his hand, then i told him how great it was to see him play live again and how much i loved his music.. i asked him if i could give him a hug and he said "well i'm a little wet.. but yeah" so yay! i finally got to hug damien (it was okay if he was a little sweaty, the temperature was in the upper 90's and he had just played his heart out)

he asked me if i was staying for fiona and i said no, she wasn't really my style, i had just come to see him.. he said after this they were breaking off from fiona and going up to canada to play, then they would meet up again and lisa would be with them for the east coast leg of the the tour (he seemed to be very aware of how many people miss lisa) i told him i enjoyed hearing him play with the band, solo without the band, whatever.. it was just really good to see him again!

i didn't question him about the new album or anything, and i didn't say a lot of the things i always wanted to say because i didn't want to intrude for too long and there just wasn't time.. i had a camera and could have asked him to pose for a picture or sign an autograph or something, but i was just kind of awestruck to finally meet him and i didn't want to impose.. really all i've ever wanted if i got the chance is to tell him how much his music means to me and thank him.. as incoherent as i probably was i hope i was able to put that across at least

so that's my little 'i actually got up the nerve to go up and meet damien' story.. sorry it was so long but i felt like sharing (because it was a big deal to me) and yes i'm aware that i sound like a total happy spa fan

Oh wow Melissa that is so cool.. I'm so happy for you.. What a great memory.
p.s. Were his eyes as beautiful as they appear in pics? I think He is so adorable, the dimples, the eyes.. yum..
cheers

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote