Thread: happy and sad
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2004, 07:02 AM   #12
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
i am prepared to do battle... why politicize music even indirectly that was never meant to be political?

Um, Peter... who are you to say what someone else's music was "meant" or "never meant" to be?? Unless you wrote it yourself you have no idea what the original intended meaning was.

And if your comment was to say that all music was never meant to be political, well gross generalizations will always get you into trouble because they're ridiculous. Music has been a means of stating opinions and sending out a rallying cry ever since music was born. It's not always political... but it often is. And it can be a very powerful form of raising political awareness. Thank heavens.

And yes that is exactly what that show is for, protesting Bush's visit to Ireland. And why shouldn't youthe Irishprotest? I'm American and an economist and George Bush's administration has done so many unbelievably horrid, expensive (in blood and money) and indefensible things to our country, theMiddle East,and the world... I think I'll protest him when he returns to the US - maybe they'll keep him in a holding pattern over DC indefinitely? I can dream anyway.....

[And just in case anyone is going to say Bush is justified in this war because of Sept. 11, I know people who died in the WTC and while it was all horrific, this war on Iraq has nothing to do with it and I'm 100% against it. If Bush really wanted to pursue Sept. 11 terrorists he would have started in Saudi Arabia where most of the hijackers were from.]Edited by: Beat Surrender