Thread: happy and sad
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2004, 03:51 PM   #26
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
i was not trying to insinuate that music can’t be political – just that damo’s music that i have heard is not political and i for one hope that it doesn’t become political… the music should speak for itself and not for or against the war on terror… i adamantly disagree with your above statement that bush’s war on terror is indefensible – and i am pretty certain my friends and professor who died on 9/11 would too – but does that mean that we can like the same music… music that talks about things more human than politics…

Peter, I think that you missed something - Beat Surrender said that Sept 11th did not justify the War in Iraq, not the "War on Terror." But I really am uninterested in the debate about whether the war is justified...I'm more interested in the debate about music and politics...

For some reason I think that if Damien announced that he was performing for Mr. Bush or at a Support Our Troops rally or something of that nature, you wouldn't be sad about it at all. Regardless of whether you thinkthat Damien's music itself is not "political," he has every right to use what he has, including his music, to support things he believes in.
GlttrGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote