Thread: Just wanted...
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2006, 08:12 AM   #4
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Actually, I both agree and disagree with audity,

I'd say your vocals were the worst part. The inconsistent slide work in "Lady" (Really nice harmonica though) was much more distracting than the too hard, shrieky sounding upstrums in the guitar of "Volcano" (rhythm is but one aspect of good strumming).

When you sang about kissing her mouth and back I thought "unless it's a peck I just don't buy it." There's no hint of true lust anywhere in your squeaky-clean delivery and it's way too clipped to sound convincing. Also the part where you sang "what I give to you is just what I'm going through" was so goofy and yodel-like that it made me laugh.

The girl had a nice, sultry voice but even she was forced to rush and basically your version tries to take all of the sex out of the song. That song needs to ooze in a smokey way like hot lava (it is called "Volcano" after all) and I agree w/audity that the snappy tempo doesn't allow for that. I just kept thinking "slow down! What the Hell's your hurry?"

That was probably way more honesty than you hoped for.

P.S.

Musically, your other two songs were really quite surprising and well done (great drumming and strings) but for a guy who claims to strive for good lyrics, those were remarkably generic and Hallmark card-ish in both cliche and over-sentimentality.

By the way, "Ennui of the Faith" is a terrible name for any band other than a Death Metal outfit, but especially so for a Christian Rock/inspirational band like yours. You do know that the definition of "ennui" is extreme dislike or boredom, right?