View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #49
saskia
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko210 View Post
Flowers is my favorite too, followed closely by Knots and Little Bird. But just as a lead-off single, to catch people's immediate attention, Knots or What'll I Do would've been really great choices. A Sail is great live but something about the keyboards is too... sleepy? I don't know, the live version from 09 with just the regular piano has such a rhythm to it, but this mellow version doesn't really work as a first single - for me.
I guess you mean this live version:

I definitely prefer the piano version (= live version) to the studio version though they are not that different - and as I couldn't detect the keyboards on the studio version could it be that you meant the glockenspiel played with a bow as Donagh does in the video?
What I liked about the studio version though is that it sounded sort of raw and not too processed. I was pleasently surprised by that because Lisa once said of Sea Sew that she liked that it sounded raw and squeaky whereas I always felt that Sea Sew was a little too flat (nevertheless a superb album, don't get me wrong!). And I agree with riotana about Lisa's voice sounding a little hoarse which I really like because it gives Lisa's vocals a nice edge.

Anyway, I am really excited to hear the studio versions of the other songs, especially Little Bird and Knots!

Footfalls echo in the memory
Down the passage which we did not take
Towards the door we never opened
Into the rose-garden.

T.S. Eliot
saskia is offline   Reply With Quote