View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #13
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erunaven View Post
lol I like this debate, I'm gonna throw in my 2cents at the risk of sounding like an idiot, not that anybody cares or gives 2 ****s but here it goes: I've not been a Damien fan since he started out, but until recently, regardless, I hold that it's not the quantity of fan years but the quality of appreciation that makes the fan... and only recently I've come to appreciate Damien In the way of his artistic persona; his perspective and views on life are something that i agree with and admire. I like how he can come out and be totally honest about his life and his emotions and discuss them publicly to his fans... coz you guys or myself included are really fortunate he does this. I've been an Iron & Wine fan since Sam Beam put out his first album, but he never has sat down and discussed the meaning of a song or talked about his life for that matter, as a fan I regret that but it sort of helps to Idealize his music more; I&W just released an album after almost 4 years of queue, and it's not what I expected it's totally different sound and It's gonna take some time getting used to. and with these sort of artists that are not mainstream and are not in it for the money, inspiration comes really hard for them. they actually want to put out something of themselves that they're proud of and that is sincere. I write Spanish poetry and it's true that you are your worst critic when you actually feel passionate of your own art, I'm a fairly good guitar player also, but I've never, for the life of me, been inspired to write a song. and maybe I never will, it's just not in me I guess, and I could maybe try and come up with some half ass song hoping it will make me famous but that's not really my priority, Whatever I do i want it to be a little of me and that it says something about me that I can really be proud of, in that way I guess I can relate to the way Damien approaches his art. so that's my take if it makes any sense. If you're True with your art it takes a long time to come up with something you're proud of, and that explains why honest artists take so long to put something out, whether it be a record, a poetry book, a painting or something. It's not all free association writing all the time, and when they do put something out, it doesn't really matter to them how people feel about it, it's just out there, take it or leave it, like it or hate it; in the end you know you've given the best in you.
I agree with you. I have said that before myself,but we have to knowledge that people are different and people has expectations,so I apologize to the person who started the thread if I sounded harsh because what I was trying to say is that people deals differently with their expectations and it doesn't make of these people a bad fan or a better fan the worse or the better they deal with the waiting and I believe Damien is used to both in a way that he won't decide to give out or hold back his work because of what people want. So let's let people be free to put their frustrations out there and not tell them what to do or how to behave as long as they can respect the artist and not come here calling him lazy for example.I hope he will give something out sometime,but honestly he could quite his career tomorrow and I would remain a huge fan of his work and personality.