Thread: Fear.
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2007, 03:29 AM   #2
nemo
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino
Now that I've got your attention, I'd like to apologize for playing such a lame trick. You see, the word "fear" invokes such a powerful emotion that we often find ourselves in a weird state of mind. Yesterday a few of my classmates and I were talking about the recent tragedy at Virginia Tech and there were many interesting points that were brought up. But one of the most interesting things I heard were the words of my professor who (and I'm paraphrasing) said "You know, it's really unfortunate about what happened a few days ago and when you step back and absorb all the news and rumors that are told, it's really difficult to keep a calm mind throughout all this. However, you gotta realize that there are so many different things to consider here. For example, the number of car-related-deaths are much higher than the amount of schools being shot up. And there are so many fearful things that we are exposed to on a day to day basis that we really don't pay attention anymore. Besides, it's not like the media is helping with any of this anyway."

What do you guys think of all this? To me, fear isn't necessarily a bad thing all the time. It's one of the main reasons our species has survived for so long. But when it comes down to it, my professor wasn't saying that the Virginia Tech incident wasn't important, he's just saying that there really isn't any reason to get really paranoid about all this since there are so many things to worry about already. It's times like these that I'm really thankful for the wonderful world of music and expression and all the different souls that have shared their music with me.
It's the news. They tell you if something's new. Car crashes aren't news, they happen all the time. The sun shining isn't news. Almost anything in Present Perfect isn't news. Not to the media people, anyway. No. News is just another way of selling you a reality you can live with.
Life, on the other hand, real life, not the life you see on BBC or CNN or whatever, they are unpredictible. The most horrible thing about life, for me, is the fact that they can be over any minute. I have zero control over it. I can try to reduce the chances, but to no good.
So we adjust. We deny. We tell ourselves we're good drivers. We take chances. Sometimes it works, sometimes we die. The most important thing to remember is that whatever you do, you do not raise or lower the chance of you dying.
That's why I tend to agree - fear is not a reason.
nemo is offline   Reply With Quote