View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
RonjaGirl
Eskimo Regular

Here a short article from the irish times:

Quote:
Irish 'outsider' excited about prestige music nomination

“I’VE NEVER been so excited about anything before,” said Irish singer Lisa Hannigan just after being nominated for the prestigious Mercury Music Prize – the annual award given to the best British or Irish music album of the year.

Hannigan (29), from Kilcoon, Co Meath, was nominated for her Sea Sew album and is on a shortlist of 12 for the Mercury Prize.

“To get the nomination is great” said Hannigan. “I’m already looking foward to the awards ceremony in September but realistically I know I am an outsider.”

During Mercury’s 17-year history, only a handful of Irish acts have been nominated (including U2 and Van Morrison). Hannigan’s nomination alone guarantees increased record sales and media exposure.

Hannigan first came to prominence as the vocalist with Kildare musician Damien Rice. She spent five years touring the world with Rice before going solo last year.

Sea Sew has sold 45,000 copies, including 15,000 in Ireland. She has been making inroads into the US with appearances on the Jay Leno and Steve Colbert chat shows.

Hannigan performed her Lille song at the announcement ceremony in London yesterday. She has been inundated with media requests since her nomination.

William Hill bookmakers have Hannigan at odds of 8/1 to win.

BRIAN BOYD in London

Lisa on Oct 3rd 2008!!
RonjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote