View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 07:24 PM   #23
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Emmett,

In 9 Crimes, are Damien and Lisa saying "Is that alright, yeah?" or "Is that alright with you?" most of the time?

It's both rhetorical questions. "Is that alright with you?" and "Is that alright? Yeah." Which is why the last line of the entire song is just a solitary "No".

In Animals is it: "I hope we didn't break yet" or "I hope we didn't break it"

I said it was "yet". The only line I'd change of yours is "we could get a house and some boxers and on the lawn..." basically I think he's saying we'll get two dogs (an attempt to re-populate the pets that are now missing which in the opening of the song previously signified their domestic bliss) plus there's the witty idea that making babies on the lawn is a way of taking a cue from the doggies.

In Elephant: "What's the point of this song? Or even singing?" or something else.

That part's correct. The one line I'd change is to "as you sit within your picture" (no question mark) One other interesting thing about the studio version is that it really sounds like he's saying "so why would she take me thorny?". Re-listening to the live versions I notice it now there, too. The recent Norwegian radio show especially.

In Rootless: What on earth is he saying in the line... "we fake the... and fracture the times"

I agree that it's "don't stain your bed" and "fake the thoughts". Also verse two is "I know not of you but of all that's been told

And all the chorus for Rootless... "I said leave it, leave it, leave it / There's nothing in you" ... doesn't seem right at all...

Here's what I've always believed the chorus actually is:

So f*ck you, f*ck you, f*ck you
And all we've been through
I said leave it, cleave it, bleed it:
There's nothing in you.
And if you hate me, hate me, hate me
Then hate me so good
That you can let me out, let me out, let me out
Of this hell when you're around

I've also always said that he's definitely alternating between saying "Let me out" and "Let me up" at different points but no one has ever agreed with me before about that.

In Dogs, "And she gets splashed in rain" : As stated by others I think it's "I become a child, man, when she moves my world/ And she gets splashed in paint"

In Me, My Yoke + I: "Won't you read my, Won't you read my, Won't you read my, Won't you read my book...(inaudible)" Can anyone make it out?

Still just have the streaming version now so I'll have to get back to you on this after I can slow it down/replay that section over and over etc.

In Accidental Babies: "The lack of space for the light-hearted in the boom that beats our drum" - Is it "boom"? Yup, it's boom.

Also, in "SDW" It's There's times when I was broke when you stood strong. Every single time they say "face, it's all wet".

BTW, everyone should play that song simultaneously w/ "Cold Water"! The effect is almost unbearably powerful and reveals an extraordinary level of variation rather than the expected similarity.

One other important thing. In "Grey Room" it's: "Cause if I squeeze my grape/ Then I drink my wine. The line doesn't make sense otherwise. He's essentially saying he lives with the consequences of his decisions, however destructive.

P.S. In general, I don't comment on the (mostly) lack of punctuation of your transcribing style but the "Have I still got you" lines should definitely all have question marks.

Last edited by Spamlet; 11-06-2006 at 07:45 PM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote