View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 01:30 AM   #33
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

anyone who has read the hot press interview, can glean, quite clearly and matter of factly, damien and lisa were fighting. not just in munuich, but they were on again off again. Thats a rocky relationship and partnership. I think there is much behind the scenes stuff we werent privy to, how damien ran the band, how much of an influence he had versus others having etc... and i think that coupled with the fact him and lisa werent in a stable relationship sort of all balled into one. Kind of sounds like lisa was feeling she had no say in the band, and from what we've heard, even from damien himself, that seems to be accurate at least in 2007, who knows what he's like now. Whether he meant it at the time, he said he was sick of working with her. Maybe he didnt mean it. Maybe he did. He feels differently now, but that relationship on again off again and being sick of working with someone sort of seems to me to be another way of saying you grew to loathe or hate or dislike someone. He obviously feels the opposite now but, lets be real here. the whole point was the relationship and musical partnership had been rocky for awhile. this wasnt their first or only fight. sounds like it had been bad for awhile. Again, that begs the question, why that night in munich? and why not fire her the night before? the week before? the month before? even after the gig? surely he wasnt madly in love with her and thinking she was the greatest and they were great and then out of the blue they fight and he goes, "you know what, because of this fight, im going to fire her". people dont work like that. thats not how this went down. He had grown to loathe her, they were in a bad way, and he chose to fire her at a ridiculous time, in a manner i think he knew would genuinely hurt her badly

From Hot Press

"I can't remember, because it was a little on-and-off and on-and-off, it was like a classic scenario of... we were in each other's company all the time, working together, resting together. You know, and then when we came off the tour we were haning out together, so it was just like full-on all the time. And so it was on-and-off as well. So, that just created a natural discomfort for the other band members. Whenever there was any fire with myself and Lisa, everybody felt this".

Her and I just weren't getting on, and I wanted everybody to get on again. I was such an idealist, in a way, that I just wanted everybody to be happy. I wanted to please everybody. Her and I weren't getting on, there were certain issues, so I called a band meeting and said "Let's have a band meeting, let's sort this out", because I'm a big sorter-out-er.
But then I think a lot of the band had grown kind of tired of "Oh God, another meeting to sort some **** out", you know. And even though I didn't like having the meetings, I felt better sorting the thing out than leaving it lie. And so that was all good, but then we had the meeting and I felt that... I just felt that Lisa didn't contribute to the meeting at all and just... and I had held the meeting so that she could say whatever she wanted to change, or whatever.
So I went into her dressing room before the show, just after the meeting, and asked her what was wrong, why didn't she contribute to the meeting? And she said 'Well, what's the point? You are just going to do what you want anyway'. At which point I just lost my head. I lost my head, you know."
He shakes his head, regretfully.
"Instead of whether she was right or wrong, you know... there was probably an element of truth in what she said because at the end of the day there had to be one of us who made the decision. And, inevitably, it was me. But at the same time, you know, I felt like I was very open, but the problem I had at the time was just this explosive head, where I just COULDN'T HANDLE A ****ING PROBLEM! You know? It was that energy, it was like "WHAT IS WRONG, NOW?", you know, "WHO IS NOT PLEASED NOW?". It was that energy in me at the time. So I just had an allergic reaction to it if there was something wrong with somebody. It just drove me nuts.
And, of course, when I went nuts then people went, "Oh my God, what is wrong with him? He is such an asshole". So I just lost the head with Lisa that night, and shouted at her and sent her home, said I was sick of working with her, which, of course, now I realise - it was just frustrated love. I mean, I loved her and just didn't know how to be around her and... just be friends, you know, just be friendly. So, again, it was a very sort of sad situation".
How was the show that night?
"Terrible", he laughs. "The worst one on the tour, probably. It was awful. The band were uncomfortable, everybody was uncomfortable, I was uncomfortable. The audience, then, were uncomfortable".
Although the couple had had many arguments before, this one was different.
"Whenever it happenes before, Lisa just left the tour", he explains. "It happened numerous times, her and I would just get to an explosive place and we just needed space. Like I said, we never had the space to get over things. We never had the space to be away from each other and just appreciate each other and learn how to be friends. And so, that night the frustration came out kind of uncontrollably. Lost my head, as usual. Overreacted to something, as usual. But after the show I was very calm again. Very, very calm.
Lisa was the one who was mad after the show. And very clear that, you know, and I told her clearly that I loved her and, "Let's just take some space. We are not getting on right now". And I just wanted to save our friendship rather than fighting ourselves every day on tour, and end up hating each other. Because it was a long tour we had ahead of us. But she didn't respond to any of that, and hasn't spoken to me since. So..."

in that interview he says he thinks his lowest point is : : "Lisa Hannigan not wanting to talk to me anymore" and he says ""I mean, I'm pretty clear at this point, looking back, I was a complete asshole on many occasions. Like, very clear".

I think the interview speaks for itself. damien suggests he was a terrible person to work with and be with at this time. yet theres the dichotomy. the open and honest and aware damien, who can comprehend what a massively stupid thing it was to fire lisa, and the other part of him that cant understand, why up until that point she hadnt been contacting him and responding to his texts and e-mails and calls following the firing. I posted that job analogy for a reason. Why would she contact him?

Last edited by radiohead33; 10-31-2011 at 01:33 AM.
radiohead33 is offline   Reply With Quote