View Single Post
Old 09-28-2003, 03:15 PM   #6
Scon
Eskimo Regular

Yeh, unfortunately those who recorded the webcasted ones like to encode them to lossy formats.

Which Lobby show are you talking about? There's more than one, and I know they're in circulation lossless. Perhaps Geoff might be able to help you out with this one if he's reading.

I'd help you out with the Goldfish Memory songs, but am without broadband at the moment. It should be easy to find someone who has both I'm sure.

Ditto for Union Chapel.

The KCRW (MBEclectic) show is only available as a webcast recording. I know there's a version that is of reasonable quality, but I'm not sure how bad your one is?

And re: your last bit, I completely agree.
You really have to understand the trading scene in Ireland first to understand. It's almost non-existant. People are happy to buy bad quality bootlegs in small recordstores and download mp3s. That satisfies them completetely. Most see no reason to take 10 times longer downloading a song/show for 'full quality' if the mp3 they're hearing sounds fine.
I think it's largely because of the absense of trading, like I said. Most have no plans to offer the shows on, list what they have to help out others, and know that it's quite easy to seek out other shows. Therefore the fact that the show might degenerate means little.
I should also point out that broadband has had a poor reception here (due to rediculous pricing), most stick to dialup, so mp3 is realistically the only option. I myself still have to get shows by mail.

All I'm doing at the moment is sounding like a broken record whenever I comment on an mp3/taping thread of an irish music forum, pointing out the above. I'm not sure what else to do.

Edited by: Scon
Scon is offline   Reply With Quote