View Single Post
Old 09-29-2003, 05:14 PM   #22
Scon
Eskimo Regular

Ack, I don't know where to begin on this one. I know where Mario is coming from completely, but can understand where Anegela is coming from also.

1/ In a way yes, barring the fact that minidiscs weren't around then.
I'm guessing you haven't heard many Irish recorded Damien shows? You'll know by the sound quality of most that very few spend money on rigs. I've actually yet to see a fan set up a rig at any gig I've attended here. If someone here says, "I'm going to tape a show", it usually means they're bringing the mic that came with their computer and a minidisc recorder in their pocket. That's the truth I'm afraid. There are thankfully one or two out there now using better equiptment, but the standard is pretty low.

3/I'll check that one (it's hard to find setlists without a dedicated setlist archive, or people providing details with the shows)

4/ I wouldn't say they blatently don't care about the quality, it's just lack of knowledge in the area really (and the above mentioned facts about having slow internet speeds, unable to download shn's).
As regards them buying bootleg recordings. From some people I've talked to, they're unaware they can get these recordings for free and are unsure about how to go about it.

--next post--
2/ I think you misread Geoff's site. He's not selling any shows and the majority aren't mp3. I know he'd do anything to get lossless copies of all shows, so you don't need to worry about him [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

3/Info is pretty much non-existant apart from the date. Frustrating, isn't it? [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

------

Angela, don't take Mario's comments in the wrong vain. I know where he's coming from and the standard of most Irish recordings is really frustrating when you are into a band/artist so much, but used to much clearer recordings from other artists. I don't know if that's understandable to everyone.

There's several shops in Dublin openly selling bootlegs. I laughed out loud in one when I saw the U2 Sept01 show onsale for FOURTY euro. I couldn't believe it. They even stuck an 'import' sticker on it, which was perhaps attempting to jusify the price. Yeh, it must have cost a lot to post it from someone's CD burner in England.

I would definitely call Ireland behind in terms of recording live shows. Both the equiptment used and the attitudes of management to the concept. I'm only comparing this to the US though.

It's great that Damien has no problem with recording, but unfortunately venue security/engineers often do, regardless. If a band has written up a recording policy, it's very easy to show to anyone who questions what you're doing. Neither Damien nor The Frames have one and it can prevent recordings.

I'm happy to record any radio shows I'm made aware of through my ntl digital stb. I can get far better recordings than anything I've attempted from a standard fm signal. Completely static and hissless without having to clean them up afterwards. I'll always offer these recordings out to anyone who wants them on CD.

-----------------------

Anyway, what I really want to say is that both ideals can exist.
Mario, I think a Damien FTP with lossless shows is vital now and definitely the right way forward. At the same time, Angela is right about many people being satisfied with mp3s. I think all we can do is live with that, but still try to attempt to tell them how they can get better quality shows. Some will be happy to know, others won't care and they're perfectly entitled to obviously.

I think when many of the newer singer/songwriters broke, the current US standard of trading was already out and so shows were of high quality and spread in lossless ways.
The differene with Damien is that so many people out there were already happy downloading mp3 shows and getting lesser quality recordings. That set the standard and it's difficult to change it. They're completely satisfied and this attempt to change how they get shows seems long-winded and complicated compared to their usual method.

I'm not very good at writing, so I'm probably not making my points very clear. Mario, you're doing a fantastic thing and please continue your efforts. I'll help you in any way possible. I'll have wireless broadband in a few weeks and will help you upload a few more shows. Angela, that's perfectly fine you're ok with all the mp3 shows. If you think they sound fine, I see no reason why you should want higher quality ones. Please try and understand what Mario is trying though, which will explain the frustration, and that it wasn't a personal attack on anyone.
Scon is offline   Reply With Quote