View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #308
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by faninor View Post
Sorry, that wasn't accurate. Not a complaint, you brushed it off as self-promotion without really acknowledging or appreciating that there was a new Damien Rice song being released. Complaint or brushing off, it doesn't change my point. When (or if) he releases a new album, there will be some publicity and you can just as easily write the whole thing off as more attention grabbing. That's why I'm curious what you thought of all those songs. Personally I was a little underwhelmed by most of them -- I'm guessing you feel the same way?

Again, I don't know what songs you're talking about.

Quote:
I'll notice that you didn't answer any of my questions. Do you know any more about it than I do?
I know that he refuses to give them any credit whatsoever for songs that were developed while he was in Juniper, which they played on. Which is a really ****ty thing to do.

Quote:
Woman Like a Man was released (live versions, still released commercially). Although the others that you mention weren't released, they've certainly been performed a lot and the songwriters would have been owed royalties for that as well.
No, songwriters don't get paid for songs being performed live. Venues pay an annual fee to ASCAP that licenses all songs in the ASCAP catalog for performers in their venue to cover. I'm not sure if all songwriters get a check for about fifty cents per song every year as a result, or if it just goes to ASCAP operating costs. But its pretty insignificant money.

Songwriters only get a cut of album sales. The WLaM single did not generate a meaningful amount of revenue. Volcano is the only Damien recording that generated revenue. Damien continues to get paid, as he should from the BellX1 sales of albums with Tongue, Volcano and I think one other tune.

Quote:
I also noticed that the following songs were recorded with Juniper: Amie, I Remember, Eskimo, Me My Yoke + I, Cross-Eyed Bear. Were these credited appropriately?
There's a lot of stuff there, its pretty messy. But here's what we know. Damien registered songs in his name alone. BellX1 registered as their names and Damien, and released a few on albums. Damien didn't sue to get 100% of the royalties for songwriter on those tunes even though he's claimed to be sole songwriter.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote