View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007, 05:04 AM   #35
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend

i am upset by this news. Got tickets to see damien for the first time in Portland. Am now debating if I should go at all. Whether people on this board admit it or not Lisa was an integral part of the band. The O album wouldnt be the same without her. The lead single off the new record also features her. So yes, this is damien rice's band, and its a damien rice tour but I bought the ticket a month ago thinking Damien, Lisa, and the rest of the crew would be there. The first time I heard Damien Rice was watching that one Vh1 countdown show, the summer of 03 I think. And it was the volcano video. What stuck out immediately was the tune, its simplicity, its power, the words, but also the way Damiens and Lisa's voices worked together to create this feeling of longing and loss.

Indeed he may have a fill in singer at the U.S. shows, but its not the same. Volcano, Cold Water, 9 crimes, the list could go on, but one thing is for sure, the power of the song is partly due to damien and partly due to lisa's voice and presence. Plus I must admit she is very easy on the eyes.

This certainly isnt the end of the world, but its disappointing, especially for those of us who wanted the full damien rice tour experience with all band members. I am pretty knowledged and learned in music, and cant think of too many bands where one of the main members quit midtour. Barring of course illnesses like for example Bill Berry leaving REM mid tour for an aneurysm.

We have the records to remind us of Lisa. But I just was under the impression, by people who had seen Damien and the crew live in the past few years, that he is mindblowing live. And I think some of that may be due to Lisa.

Damien Rice's music is really something special. It reminds me of my childhood, it makes me visualize what Ireland must be like, and it gives off a feeling of loss and longing that really hits home. Not too mention that the emotion of the music is just so clear and blunt and really intense. The emotion of the music really is like a bat to the head, its that powerful. Hopefully Damien Rice's band as it exists now, can continue to conjure up these feelings for me, but I do wonder...

I do think its very interesting how the official statement makes it sound like she was forced out of the band by damien. Did the person who relayed the original rumor, did they say that lisa quit 30 min before the show because she was upset and crying? It now seems like this could be a possibility.

Kinda cold if you ask me

Last edited by cheguevara6; 03-26-2007 at 05:07 AM.
cheguevara6 is offline   Reply With Quote