View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #67
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

mario d, i think you are fundamentally wrong, in that you fail to understand why I, and im not a famous artist obviously, and why alot of other artists do art.

I doubt most artists, damien included sit down, create, write, record an album with the audience in mind. nor do they write for the audience. Sure all artists want the work to be heard, to be seen, to be recieved in a positive manner. But i dont think damien made 0 or 9 for you, or me, or anyone else. he made it for the simple act of creation of art, to express his feelings. Thats the heart of all artistic pursuits.

I would encourage you to look for other artists outside damien, artists in the many mediums. delays, projects that never come out, never come to fruition, or get released years later is common. More artists other than damien do it. You act like its a flaw in his character. When in reality Its human nature, and also the nature of creative activities.

lots of artists, musicians, directors, actors, painters, writers have announced throughout time that a project was coming out at such and such a date. And throughout time artists have sometimes waffled, or changed their minds, or scraped the material, started again, met with resistance from labels and publishers etc... Go on IMDB, check out the movie schedule for the summer. Movies are scheduled to release to theaters for June, and July. Those movies may not be shown, they may be shelved, the director may scrap the project etc...

Back in 1999, marilyn manson, was claiming he was going to publish a graphic novel based on his album Holy Wood. I remember reading interviews at that time where he said it was coming out in a few months. Its never been published and its never come out, and its 2012.

this happens all the time.

I dont know about you, but i'd rather be an artist who, and support art and artists who create for the sake of creating, and because its meaningful to them, rather than to please fans, an audience, or that they feel like they have to

As I said, none of us have a clue why he hasnt released album 3. To sit in judgement of that is naive at best.

I think you fundamentally misinterpret the purpose and the nature of an artist in society. They arent really here to serve us. Thats not why art exists. Van Gogh didnt paint because he wanted to meet a deadline and get new material out to his few fans at the time, and Shakespeare didnt write plays to please his audience, Steinbeck didnt write novels to please his audience. All these great artists were compelled, by their muse, by god, by the mere nature of the situation to get their feelings out and heard.

Ultimately the artist answers only to themselves. he;s not going to make an album because i radiohead33 say he should, nor will he make one because you mario say he should, nor would he if this entire board demanded he make one. His label probably couldnt even force him to.

The artist/audience relationship doesnt work the way you seem to think it does. He didnt make 0 or 9 for me, although i may feel he did and relate to it. And he wont make album 3 for you nor me. Nor anyone else. Thats just not how art is made or created
radiohead33 is offline   Reply With Quote