View Single Post
Old 06-25-2015, 03:14 PM   #11
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Haven't watched OITNB's new season yet, but hope to binge this weekend! There is so much hype, but I don't like it as much as I thought I would.

Marti, I agree the dream of living alone being like wild and free.

Glo, I've heard him offer a few different perspectives on songs and also doubt when he says they are not about "another person." And, I agree that they are about Love but like lost love, begging, unrequited love, etc. I still think the "color me in" is meant as a "F*** it, Color me into anything you want me to be for you."

I think It Takes a Lot.... is very much about himself, in addition to Box. It is his deepest self-examination.

He has been talking about unconditional love at concerts, too and how that is his goal. Through meditation and in Buddhism (almost all religions, I think) that is always meant to be the goal- Unconditional love of self, humanity, as well as those you care about. At the Beacon or Philly, he said that he was able to love someone unconditionally, after they weren't in his life anymore.

Unconditional Love is different than unconditional acceptance. Wanting to change someone does not necessarily equal a lack of unconditional love. You can love someone unconditionally, but that does not mean that you can accept their cruelty to you or others, lies, or their self-destructive behaviors (that is enabling). Creating distance and space for self-preservation is a legitimate way to love, even if some may see that as conditional love. In my opinion...

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 06-25-2015 at 03:17 PM.
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote