View Single Post
Old 07-16-2004, 06:16 AM   #20
Angela
Eskimo Regular

I met Damo when he did a solo in Boston last year. It was in a small coffee house type place. He sat down at the edge of the stage at some point and was about to light a cigarette when I almost literally jumped on him, eh....the opportunity. I wasn't very subtle and he looked rather scared when he saw me coming [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]I'll never forget that look on his face!

I didn't know Lisa wouldn't be there, so I had printed outa picture that I had hoped he would sign.It was a rather early one ofhim, Lisa and Glen performing at the Lobby a few years earlier.I had also printed out another one and first asked him to sign the letter for a friend in S.F. (Ana, one of the earliest eskimo friends ever).

So we talked about Ana and how I found out about Damien from her and how we were both Frames fans, too, and then we talked about the picture from the Lobby and Damo started talking about the night of that gig, which he remembered extremely well. He practically took me back there by just talking about it.[img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]

In the meantime, he almost burned a hole in the carpet because he was so absorbed he had forgotten all about the cigarette that he had left sitting perched on top of a bottle, but thankfully somebody bought an ashtray (this was a non-smoking place, btw).Out of the corner of my eyeI suddenly saw this line of 20 people that had formed behind me [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]That's when I was quiteglad I had jumped on him first! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

He signed the two pictures and drew little pictures on both - which took him forever and he was quite concentrated and I didn't interrupt him and we didn't taklk at all during that time. Then I sent him scurrying around for CD's. He didn't have a merch table; he had the CD's in his shoulder bag, so I bought two copies of 'O' (he was still selling the Irish release at that time) and then forced myself to finally get up and leave.

All along it was like we were sort of in our own bubble - it was an emotionally intense encounter and people who stood behind me said that Damien really started to shine more and more the longer he was talking with me. It's a little hard to describe. Must have been that "two Saggitarians on the loose" thing. [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]Never had that with any of the other musos I met.