View Single Post
Old 11-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #40
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Okay, we're officially out of the city so I can take the time to type since I don't have to help navigate The show was AMAZING, completely blew me out of the water. The boyfriend and I both agreed we didn't miss the piano one bit even if it would have been nice.

In no particular order:

- He opened with the professor, which is one of our favorites, and you could tell right away he was in much better form than the last show! Held out that last note way longer than I ever think I've heard him sing it (in recordings from other shows, anyway, this was my first time seeing him live.)

- He played colour me in at some point and that just melted me. I am completely in love with that song.

- Bf and I were thrilled to hear coconut skins as it doesn't seem to come up live often that I've noticed and it's one of the songs we really shared, for lack of a better word, when we first started dating

- I always thought I wouldn't miss the "big" songs live (and I admit I was glad we didn't "waste" time on cannonball, though I do like that one) but blowers daughter had me nearly in tears. Boyfriend said: "that was the moment it really hit me like holy **** we're seeing damien rice!!"

- was so surprised by bottom shelf!! And sex change!!! AAAAHHHH!

- trusty and true might be my fav off the new album and was no less magical live. I got a full recording of it and the talk before it, will upload when I get home on wifi to not waste our data plan lol

No proper merch, just cds. Got a non-deluxe copy to keep in the car.

Stage door was... Weird. Very different than I've encountered before, largely I think because there was no line set up or anything, just a cluster of people... Most of whom seemed to have no idea that he didn't do autographs or photos, so when he did come out there was some awkward like... People sharing expectantly and him being like sooooo

Still, we all got to stand around and chat, one couple in particular talked a lot about God knows what, I chatted with him briefly about how Glen was coming back to play in Milwaukee in February. When his manager(?) looked ready to shuffle him off, a few people got handshakes and then I asked if I could give him a hug and he said if course

It was about 20 degrees outside so I don't blame him for wanting to get on his way, but every time I see an artist at the stage door I find myself wishing some people were more respectful for one reason or another. (Though I was super relieved no one asked about Lisa... Was kind of waiting for that to be honest)

I REALLY wanted to ask him wtf happened to mustard seed, but Mr and Mrs talkative made it difficult to interject so I tried to just stand around awkwardly and be polite

Also after the show someone did ask if he preferred beer or wine... Wine it is!

That's everything that comes to mind for now....I'm sure there will be something else along the line. Will link trusty video when it's up, looks like it recorded mostly not awfully
mandarific is offline   Reply With Quote