View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 12:55 AM   #62
zincrox
Local Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
Just back from the gig, it started out like the perfect setlist, yet turned into a very lonely performance. His overdrive pedal felt like it was making up for his lack of band or sound he wanted and had. His harmonies and choice of setlist was missing the one thing i always said he didn't need but he so regretfully misses.. His storytelling was great and repetitive, sometimes striking the right chord, or failing off into mumbles. It had passion without the intensity.

At the end i was fully sure he said "see you all.... sometime", but perhaps thats the pesimist in me

Anyways i don't want to write a bad review here, or for people to feel down about a really positive gig, but perhaps i've just outgrown my love for the way he plays his music. Was a great venue, great sound, perfect audience (why have Dublin crowds learned to shut the **** up recently?!).

I could be off here, this is just my impression of the gig. Everyone gets something different from it and perhaps i miss Lisa and the band (i never was one to say he needed them) but it felt very lonely for him playing those songs tonight from my seat anyways.

I agree with parts of this as I left the theatre wishing for a bit more, but still it was a really well played gig by Damien (and the choir/ronan on t&t). Even though there was like a 99.999% chance that Lisa wouldn't join him, I did feel this glimmer of hope a few times towards the end..
he played a few riffs that sounded like the intro to new songs but they were always shut off with a "this isn't going anywhere" ... maybe we caught a glimpse of camarillas or mustard seeds? We'll find out soon enough. That or he was just noodling.
His voice/attitude at the start was very 'chill/dry', but he warmed up after a few songs.

The audience... I've never seen one like that. Not a sound during any of the songs except Volcano when they really got into the audience participation!

Overall, a band would have benefitted some of the songs like MFFF and I Remember but he did well with the peddles even if it got a bit repetitive. The tone out of that guitar is incredible. I sat there staring at it thinking about all of the places it's been, songs it's a part of and all the modifications made to give it all those effects.

The things I would have liked to have heard tonight; extended french section of the professor (prefer it too the extra long petiiiiiiit), sand, fool and toffee pop.
But hey, there's still a few more gigs in this tour, and youtube exists!