View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #323
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenM View Post
Valentino all is very well, thanks for asking

I think it simply comes down to evolution. Men are naturally meant to constantly be thinking about spreading their seed so humanity will continue. They also have been biologically engineered to look for the best-looking mate so that, from an evolutionary perspective, their offspring has the best chance of survival.

Women, on the other hand, are concerned primarily with the survival of their offspring and themselves. In many primitive cultures, women needed men to be the hunter-gatherer so that they could have food for themselves and their children. So, women look at two things. 1. Looks--will this person likely produce offspring that will have a chance at survival and 2. Breadwinning--will this person stick around and feed me and our children. I think that is why women are much more easily swayed to be with someone whom they initially are not attracted to.

Now, with women being much more self-sufficient in developed countries, the lines around these rules have faded. Women can now get their own food, so they are more concerned with personality and character. Men, on the other hand, never needed help from women with survival, so they still look primarily for someone attractive.
I know this thread is "back on track" now and that this type of discussion definitely deserves its own thread. But I just wanted to say that Lauren wrote a beautiful post above. Thanks Lauren ; )
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote