View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #22
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

I found this posted on hotpress.com message board :Glen Hansard gig
€15 (all to haiti fund) to get into this in whelan's last night - anyone at it?

i have to say a fab gig to witness and experience. mundy supported, then glen said that were some of his family and friends were there and might come and sing a song or two. after a few frames and solo tunes, he announced paddy casey who played a few, natalie merchant (beautiful voice), followed by paul brady, followed by damien rice, with a song or two in between from his cousin and uncle (including a great and dirty rendition of old king cole in a solid dublin accent).
then they all sang together, and we all sang along for 'the auld triangle' and glen hansard finished off with a gorgeous tune with paul brady, (which i'd love to get actually - anyone there and know the name?)
i especially loved how they all sat on stage, legs crossed drinking pints, watching each other sing like they were in a sitting room chilling out.
super night.

Beep I was at it as well...what a gig. Truely mind blowing. I am not the biggest fan of Glen Hansard and his work with The Frames/Swell Season but he is an unbelievable performer live. I was expecting a few suprises but nothing on that scale, Damo Rice and all. A cover of Hallejuah too, amazing.

Mundy was out of his brain by the end, eyes gone and all, it was hilarious. Especially his random "GLEN HANSARD" howl into the mike right at the end, ha ha.

Amazing gig, and one I will remember forever.