View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 04:32 PM   #80
Bumpman

I don't really know a lot, I just think I do, and I use big words to achieve a sense of self-worth.

Vicar St like to think of themselves as a classy venue, more recently they've stopped letting the non-ticket-holding public into the bar... Which isn't a bad idea considering their location. Still though, they're in the habit of trying to maintain whatever mystique they have left. So yes, in my personal experience they do check for ID, Three years ago I went to see Damien there and I had just turned seventeen. The guys on the door asked me "Got any ID there?", I said "NO!" in a much louder voice then I intended to (the crippling nervousness you understand). The result of which was a bit of a chuckle and more of a nod from the doorman, and in I went... and there was much rejoicing.

Realistically, if you have a ticket to a sold-out show they won't give you much hassle. Just don't try to dress like what you'd imagine a twenty-five year old looks like, because you'll end up looking like a ventriloquist's dummy doing an impression of a whore. The best way to get around the age problem is to arrive early (so they'll know you're not there to get tanked on their property), wear the most comfortable clothes you own, and for god's sake, don't walk up to the door doing your best Samel L. Jackson impression, (ie. no deep voice, no snappy one-liners.)

If you do actually get into trouble with ID, there's one solution that usually works; Firstly, don't say "ah go on, PLEASE. I travelled all the way from Mayo/Longford/Calcutta". Make sure that you're in the queue with someone who can prove that they're over twenty-one, if you're not, then find someone, queue beside them and arrange beforehand that if (and only if) you're turned away at the door. They'll then claim to be your older brother/sister, mentioning that you've both travelled 100 miles just here to see the show, and that they'll be with you the whole time.

I've never come across a situation where that doesn't work. You shouldn't really have to do it in the first place though (unless you're 13 or something, in which case you're screwed)