View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 07:32 AM   #7
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Putin,

Well, wow. I couldn't disagree more.

Musically, it's a very repetitive barely varient version of "Then Go". Lyrically, next to "Mooday" and "Closer" it's one of the most unfinished sounding songs Damo's ever written. It's like a mere sketch which seems to have taken him about 15 seconds to come up with:

She comes out
So slow.
I lied.
So I wait
Like a dog
By her side.

She drops down
So low.
I tried.
But I failed.
And she cries
Like a little child.

She won't talk (?)
To friends
When the poor attempt (?)
Is almost over.

(repeat first verse)

"You Can" is much more 1) dark/cynical 2) angry 3) rockin' 4) finished. Just because he plays a song solo acoustic doesn't mean it won't be more fleshed out with the band in the studio. Ditto for "Wanted to be Wanted" (check those brutal, Machiavellian lyrics- no way are they lullaby-esque!) Besides which "O" mostly had that intimate 'one man' feel and having a tune which sounds more like that could make a great opener to throw people off from the electric stuff which should make the bulk of it up.

BTW, folks, speaking of normally acoustic songs gone amplified: don't be surprised if "Insane" ends up on the new album because he played it on his electric in Cleveland and it was gloriously heavy as all Hell.

P.S. Danka, gals, for all the vids...