Thread: The Box 10/16
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 10:16 PM   #111
jwelsh8
Eskimo Friend

What a great first show for all of you!

Some quick thoughts:

The room is *small* and somewhat narrow. So as you file in you just stack yourself in front of the stage (unfortunately, we were behind some tall fans to the left).

There were reserved tables to the side, and a limited-access balcony. Some greeter said "black wristbands."

Shortly after 7:00, the curtain was drawn showing a single mic on stage. Damien walked down some stairs at the back of the stage and started to play. (The exit sign was a bit annoying; we realized after the show that the stage exits immediately to Freeman's Alley.)

We were surprised and really happy with the Insane opener. Kind of set the tone for the night.

New one (album support).

First talking break was to explain how he was feeling (dizzy) and then talked about when you first meet someone you want to show each of your "nice sides." Into Delicate.

Called 9 Crimes when he started talking about how it was released on piano. Lots of people seemed excited for that one.

I believe My Favourite was a debut in full, as that one video I watched was just a tease, aborted. Sounded good.

Love Older Chests.

Up until this point, some people on the crowd would shout/talk with Damien, but only here and there. But when he asked people for what he should play next, it opened up the floodgates, lol. With that said, the crowd was incredibly respectful. A great mix of silence during the songs, and interaction in between. (I have mentioned this once already, but New Yorkers need to play with their new iPhone 6s so they can learn how to turn off the flash.)

I was one of the guys yelling "Sand!" but we had to wait for What If I'm Wrong first. Sand was all I wanted it to be. I have loved that song for years.

Rootless Tree is kind of an angry song. Just saying. And I have always appreciated the lyrics to Cannonball.

Really like Lonelilly. Such a pretty song. But it was also the song where he had the most difficulty remembering lyrics (not an issue, mind you).

Inviting the crowd members up on stage for Volcano kind of reminds me what he would (does?) do with his sampler -- setting up fragments of a song and layering them one on top of each other. He certainly has a vision when he asks people to join him on stage.

Box was fitting.

I Remember will forever remind me of the amazing set from Bonnaroo 2004, with the rain pouring down outside the tent (https://archive.org/details/damo2004-06-12.ck-63; I Remember and Prague are must hears).

With all of us cheering, the curtain was drawn and the lights came on. Damien needed his rest. Responding to a suggestion that he join the other Sand lover at Shake Shack, he said he needed to go to sleep.

I *think* this was my eleventh Damien show. This was among the keepers, the special ones.

Last edited by jwelsh8; 10-17-2014 at 10:20 PM.
jwelsh8 is offline   Reply With Quote