View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 11:51 PM   #24
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenBledsoe
Honestly, the amount of censoring that goes on here is laughable. People need to get over it. Guess what, the people who did this cruel thing were sick and Japanese, so the title was factual. Trying to accomodate every person's beliefs and nationality will divert attention off of what is really important and the true cause.
"Sick" is not a fact, but an opinion, no matter how strong. Japs is slang, and is rarely used in contexts where japanese aren't being slagged off. I don't think ANY word is offensive unless it's intended to be, but i thought the tone of it almost implied that "the entire japanese people are sick" and put allot of emphasis on the nationality of the people concerned. I don't think it was a major crime to humanity by any stretch of the imagination. But that like riding a bike, sometimes only little adjustments can regain lost balance and improve direction.

Moderation is what KEEPS focus on the "true cause" there are rules of debating in many circles which ensure that the proper arguments are conveyed, recieved, listened to and then responded to. Regulation makes things work. I think it's highly important to respond to something if even the tone is the only thing which trigers discontent. The more that kind of thing is let go, the more it will be considered a norm and be an inforced way of thinking, and the more it escalates.

Moderation and regulation on grounds of fair and accurate discussion HELP people to understand where they stand, to think about how they present a subject and will provide information that does NOT give opportunity FOR divertion of attention from the main subject!

Making discussions more focused and efficient WILL help get better results for the animals concerned. As I already said, i'm totally justified. And none of my post was being offensive or attacking in anyway. I was just stating the reaction I had to the post and reccomended improvement to the writer of it.

EDIT: responding to the above edit:

Freedom/liberty, and chaos are very separate things. I think there's difference also between censorship and moderation. I don't like things being censored, because i think that's a political thing, like to do with sexuality and the like, and it actually obscures the truth. moderation however is just about making sure that people are well informed about how to comunicate without making asaults on others (even if they ARE socially enforced). It's not about STOPPING communication, just improving it.

Last edited by PenguinBoy; 03-10-2007 at 12:00 AM.
PenguinBoy is offline   Reply With Quote