View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
mark.
Eskimo Friend

You'll be hard pressed to find a decent, independent scientist who will agree with you I am afraid. The simple fact of the mater is that human activity is causing a fluctuation in the world's temperature like nothing ever seen before in the geological record of this planet.
But allow me to address your concerns:

-Every Climatologist will tell you the Earth's temperature has been much hotter and colder than it is now.
This is entirely true. However global warming is not about the earth getting hotter - it is about the rate of change, the world is heating up at a far greater rate than ever before, this is an unstable and volatile situation causing severe extremes of weather (not necessarily simply warmer weather). In the last one hundred years the number of natural disasters has increased dramatically due to the changing nature of our climate.

-There was an Ice Age and it warmed up, there was a Mini Ice Age just 500 years ago and it has been warming up ever since. The Industrial Revolution was not around during those periods.
again - the fact that global temperatures are getting warmer is not the problem at all. it is the rate of change that needs to be examined

-NASA reports because of Solar Flares the Sun is the hottest it has been in over 100 years. There are no cars on the sun.
several things here - NASA is funded by the American government. Said government funds scientists not to investigate global warming but to prove that it isn't happening. Nothing that NASA says can be really trusted. Especially as they have an active interest in proving it doesn't exist as they are contributing to the problem.
The UN international panel on climate change has stated that human activity is directly responsible for the rate of change in the Earth's temperatures.
I'll take the independent view.
Also, while it may be true the that the solar flares are hotter than normal that is not much of a problem. the probem comes when we have holes in our ozone layer so the stronger rays can get through. and how did the hole get there? Human activity.

-Global warming is causing ice to melt on Mars. There are no cars on Mars.
Neither is there ice on Mars. So I don't think it can be melting. All the Haughton-Mars Project of 2003 found on Mars was rivets in the rock that looked like they could have been formed by running water at some point in the distant past. Leading to a hope that once upon a time there was life on Mars. they never found any ice.

-Thousands and thousands of studies and experiments prove that more carbon dioxide produces better fruits, vegetables, trees and almost any sort of plant life.
I must admit I don't know anything about this - but the concern over global warming is not about plants really. The concern is for the wildlife of the Arctic and Antarctic regions and for rising sea levels which will lead to flooding and more natural disasters - leading to Human loss of life. The concern also is that, as the hole in the o-zone layer widens so too do our changes of contracting skin, and other forms of, cancer.

-Most of the temperature increase happened before 1940 (Before most carbon dioxide was released by cars and factories)
the temperature continues to increase at a far higher rate than in the past today. And prior to the 1940s saw an awful lot of oil and coal burning too.

-The hot year of 1998 was caused by El Nino.
Global warming leads to more natural disasters. El Nino in 1998 was a natural disaster. 1998 was not the hottest year on record anyway. That was last year.

-Joining the Kyoto Protocol would cost the U.S. approximately $400 Billion every year and have virtually no effect on earths temperature.
Not true, it would have a dramatic effect on slowing the rate of increase, which is what it's all about. And I, personally, would far prefer ol' Georgie Pie to spend his money on saving our planet than invading countries his daddy didn't like the look of and flying anyone who gave him cheek away on extraordinary rendition flights to lovely hotels in guantanamo bay.
mark. is offline   Reply With Quote