View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 02:28 AM   #27
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmcgrail
If the planet doesnt make us extinct, we'll do it to oursleves.
Very well put, couldn't have said it better. This actually made me take a step back and consult with my own beliefs for a second. I've always thought of the earth as "Mother Earth" and imagined her as having very forgiving and likeable qualities (also knowing that her wrath can be deadly still). But what I never thought of was that no matter who or what you are, you can only be pushed so far. How long do you think our planet will put up with this attack before retaliating? Has it done so already? The one thing I really despise is whenever there's something new that concerns humanity there's always those politicians and wannabe know-it-alls who need to corrupt matters even more just so we're left apathetic in the end. Try explaining all the methods of calculus to any given person in one sitting and see if they don't drop the issue after a few minutes of disgust. This is what's happening to us and the way they see it...if you have an intelligent society, then you have an opposing society. The last thing the government wants is another attack, especially one by it's own people.

And one last thing. I believe the most sensible Global-Warming statement on this website was when Damien said the following in a recent interview:

"When I went to meet Laurie in her house in Los Angeles, I had this head full of questions, and I put them to her. I said, "What is your take on this, because I'm confused. I get information here and there. I want to believe, but I really don't know what to think." And she had a simple way of putting it that made me very comfortable with joining the march. She said that everyone she knows enjoys life, enjoys clean air. They like clean beaches, clean water, good food and a healthy lifestyle. And she said if we continue in the way that we're doing, we're going to destroy those beautiful things. But if we take the right steps and make an effort on a global level to change things, then we can preserve some of the beautiful things in life."

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmcgrail
If you were that comfortable in your belief then no man should be able to offend it.
Again, very very well put. Nothing against the person to whom this was offensive towards but he definitely has a point. However, one thing I've realized in these prior days is this: We all know how religous people (especially those of Christendom) believe about non-believers. We're often called sinners, heathens, pagans, satanists, evolutionists, anarchists, etc. And at the end of the day, the hate is all too real. But when you look at the other end of the spectrum, you see that many of the non-believers return this hate towards their religious counterparts by expressing similar names such as jesus-freaks, sheep, old school, murderers, criminals, scam artists and con-men, etc. (the term murderer doesn't refer to every religious person, it is only a reference to those who were involved with the crusades). But what we must realize is this...Are the non-believers any better than the believers when they choose to participate in this senseless name-calling and by returning the same exact hatred? Aren't we infact lowering ourselves to their level? I find that I am no better than my Christian neighbor when I tell others about my feelings toward him than when he tells others his feelings about me. And rather than destroying this hate that breeds among us, we are only providing fuel for the fire that will eventually destroy us. The extremists in any particular metaphysical affiliation are the ones that ruin it for everyone so let them pray for our souls or whatever, but let's not waste our time with theirs.

Last edited by Valentino; 06-07-2007 at 02:43 AM.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote