Thread: Boston Show
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 06:21 PM   #56
palescales
Eskimo Baby

I know most of you will defend Damien Rice until you're blue in the face but I'm reading a lot of "yea, but..." statements here. The show in Boston had moments that gave you the chills and where you could hear a pin drop. It had funny moments like Damien said, "You can tell there are a lot of Irish people in Boston because you're all ****in late."

However, the experimental/noise/improvisation was terrible. He was getting away from his strongest aspects as a musician and doing something that Sonic Youth would be more apt to do. And for the new fan, there is NOTHING on any album that would lead them to expect a 15 minute version of Volcano complete with screaming and blinding light.

I saw Damien at The Paradise and the Paradise Lounge in 2003 [?] and when he's playing songs there are few better. When he strays from it, there are other bands that do that sort of thing a lot better. The reviewers had every right to blast Damien's gig at the Orpheum because the majority of the people got something other than what they expected. That's not to say some people didn't like it.

However, I loved the show, but he needs to stick to playing songs. When he played Coconut Skins and it lasted 3 minutes I was kind of shocked. I was expecting it to drag on for 8 minutes at that point.
palescales is offline   Reply With Quote