Thread: Boston Show
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2006, 04:08 PM   #59
Lophashea
Eskimo Baby

Default Two Thumbs Down

Ok this is from a real Damien Rice fan not some newspaper critic.....
I have never seen Damien Rice live until Monday night but I have bootlegs/dvds and know what to expect from him live. I have had tickets to three different shows that I couldn't attend due to work but have been waiting for 2 years to see him. Monday night was hands down the most disappointing concert I have ever seen. The Orpheum is a very intimate venue and everytime I go see a show there I walk out wanting more. This was not the case on Monday. The concert started off really strong. The first few songs everyone was really into it. Then later in the show, he talked about where Aime came from and I thought it was a great story but then it hit. This stupid 20 minute jam sh*t waste of time. I was counting exit signs and looking at the people around me and everyone was like what the hell is this. At this moment I really could've left. After that the show was decent but that stupid jam took me out of it and also the dragging on of songs. The death metal of the blower's daughter was good. I mean the song was terrible but as musicians they looked like they were having a good time.Damien's screaming was so lame and pointless. I love Damien Rice's music but think his lyrics lack the strength of big name storytellers like Dylan and Springsteen. Also to hear the last line of every song 15 times is just a space filler and really a waste of time he could have fit in another song. 4 minute songs would be dragged into 8 minutes and 4 of those minutes would keep me begging for the song to stop. The weird thing is, Damien didnt look tired but he played like he was beat. He really only got into songs a handful of times during the show. Also for the musicians on the stage. The drummer is the worst drummer I have ever seen. He missed a ton of hits and was off but I notice that stuff because I am one. The other musicians were fantastic including the bass player. One thing I will say about Damien Rice is he sounded just as good, if not better, live than on his studio cd's. Also Lisa sounded amazing as well. Her solo for the encore was amazing. Overall I walked into this show with high expectations but found myself walking out with my head down and very disappointed. If anyone walked out of that show thinking it was good they must have never seen one of the bootlegs I have. Will I go see another Damien Rice show? Yes because the next one has to be better than this. I have Ray Lamontagne coming up on Monday at the Orpheum and expectations are high because of this show. The Orpheum is made for singer/songwriters like Damien Rice but on Monday, he should've played the fleetcenter. A big boring lack-luster place because that what this concert was like. Bash away but I am a true and always will be a Damien Rice fan. Everyone has an off night and I think this was his worst.
Lophashea is offline   Reply With Quote