View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 03:38 AM   #1
jwelsh8
Eskimo Friend

Default Central Park Setlist

Central Park SummerStage, New York, New York

One Set:
Cannonball*, Volcano, Blowers Daugther part 2, Woman Like a Man, Accidental Babies^, The Professor, Rootless Tree$, Nine Crimes$^, Blower's Daughter$, I Remember$

Notes:
co-bill with Fiona Apple
* Damien solo
^ Damien on the rhodes
$ with Joel Shearer on guitar

This was the first time we have seen Damien since Bonnaroo 2004 -- we felt like we were due for a Damien show, so we were definitely excited to see him at Central Park. And while I liked David Garza, he only played three songs so we did not have to wait too long for Damien to come out. Not waiting too long was nice, as it was hot, and the sold out crowd certainly packed it in there. We were actually situated on the right-hand side of the stage at first, but as I looked at the set-up, I realized that Lisa and maybe Damien would be left of center, so we shifted and found a great spot just two people back from the rail, to the left-hand side.

While it was not the best Damien Rice show that I have seen, his set certainly did not disappoint. It was played, and Lisa was clearly having a good time, so that made me smile. It was also good to hear some (relatively) new songs live for the first time. I really like Rootless Tree, and I thought that Nine Crimes had a nice little jam as part of it. And while I initially did not like Accidental Babies when I first heard a recording of it, it was good to see it live and see Damien play the rhodes and sing those emotional lyrics. (The crowd was quite respectful for that song, which was nice to see.) There was a nice little (new?) jam out of the end of Accidental that was new to my ears. Also new was a bit tacked on to the end of The Professor; something Damien sung in French. The addition of Joel for the last few songs was good to see, as I liked his guitar playing with Pedestrian (even if I was not a fan of their songs), but he needed to be turned up as I really could only hear his contributions on I Remember. And speaking of I Remember, it was the only song to be really drawn out -- and I was hoping that it would have been drawn out even more. And while it was a bit odd not seeing Tomo behind the drums, Earl Harvin did well and held his own.

As a criticism, Damien just seemed a little too tight or unemotional. It was almost as though he was playing for the industry reps or something. None of the looseness and openness that we witnessed at Bonnaroo or many times before that. Or, maybe he knew he just had an hour to work with so he cut out any sort of banter. It is tough to put my finger on it -- you just know that it is an odd night when you see Shane smile more than Damien, lol.

Like I said, it was great to see Damien live after two years. And it is always a pleasure to see and hear Lisa. (As a side note, it was nice to see Lisa and Vyvienne on the same side of the stage, next to each other!) Let's hope for a solo tour this Fall where he can play a full set in a nice indoor venue.

Thanks for reading. I hope to get some photos uploaded somewhere so I will try to let everyone know.
jwelsh8 is offline   Reply With Quote