View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 11:42 AM   #8
jwelsh8
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew1234
Other than loving the show, I have two exact opposite reactions from the original poster.

First off, Damien was very emotional during the performance. (How could you see him perform Woman Like a Man last night, or I Remember, and not characterize that as "incredibly emotional"? It was, by any definition.)

Second, Lisa sounded great. But, I didn't feel she was "having a good time." She looked miserable. It was great to see her sing the emotional part of The Professor -- she did a good job of being pissed.

Lastly, what supposed "Industry People" would he play for? He has already passed through that silliness.

Matt
Thanks for writing back, Matt. Like I said, I certainly enjoyed the show and was happy to see Damien after two years. And I had goosebumps for most of the evening. That accounts for something . . .

But when I said "unemotional," maybe I should have said "non-engaged." Yes, Accidental Babies and Woman Like a Man were sung with incredible passion and feeling behind the song. But there was this feeling that he was not enjoying what he was doing up there. There was no positive emotions, that I could witness. He did not seem relaxed, or having fun. The songs were just not allowed to breathe.

Lisa, on the other hand, was smiling, singing along to songs even when it was not "her turn," interacting with Vyv. She was swaying back and forth, not standing still. And both she and Vyvienne were watching David Garza as well as Fiona, supporting the other artists. She just seemed more "into it" than at other shows . . .

I guess the "industry" comment was just another way of saying that the show seemed tight and too the point. Nothing light-hearted, nothing loose, no talking, opening up with Cannonball and Volcano.

Please, don't get me wrong, I didn't want to be anywhere other than Central Park last night. Like I said, I had goosebumps. But Damien wears his emotions on his sleeve and might have been having a "night." The band was more into it than he was, from where I was standing. After eight shows over three or four years, I simply think I can make some comparisons . . .
jwelsh8 is offline   Reply With Quote