View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #23
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

The only disconnect is from people who inexplicably expect any great artist to remain the same from year to year. Picasso had a "blue period" where all he painted for years was sad and gloomy works using very dark colors. He also had a "rose period" where all his stuff was cheerier. Apparently you guys would label him a sellout for changing styles. You'd cry foul at Dylan for going electric under these standards. The rest of us would applaud because the searching, restless pursuit of new ideas and the expression of them is what being a creative professional is all about.

Since he's also a human being he's therefore entitled to enjoy himself and celebrate without that being a contradiction no matter how given he might otherwise be to depression. Damo loves music and other cultures so the maracas make total sense. He loves being able to make a difference in the world so why shouldn't being part of that make him happy?

Damien Rice has always been passionate about helping those in need. Many Hollywood/ celebrity folks are also some of the richest and most influential in terms of raising money, awareness and additional participation for charities so those are the folks you need to be aligned with if you want to effect real changes to those in need (just ask Bono). It's not a stretch to imagine they probably had a dress code, being an Armani event. I see nothing out of character about choosing to be a participant about any of this.

BTW, Sean Penn is one of the few people that whether you agree with his politics or not only a fool would call a phony. He didn't just talk about helping Haitians he moved down to Haiti and started to rebuild houses with his own two hands. I'd say that's a pretty damned admirable quality.

So yeah, I'm gonna stand by the mirror thing, David possibly Ford plugging your own crap here under a poor alias, if you haven't done anything in your life half as noble as that.