Thread: Boston Show
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 03:22 PM   #20
Whigged
Eskimo Baby

Cool Get a grip cry babies

First off, as a fan from forever back, as many of us are, it's tough for me to see Damien getting so big and people not appreciating his inimitable artistry on-stage. It’s pretty clear-cut: if you want to hear the beautiful sounds from “O” and the new release, then stay home and listen to the disc. If you want a singer/songwriter who transcends the genre with his textured, multi-layered, unpredictable and FUN shows – then go see Damien Rice.

Is he sick of playing the older songs? Probably – but I think that he threw in a healthy sampling of songs: “Face,” “Amie,” “Eskimo,” “Cold Water,” “Cannonball.” So he didn’t play “Delicate” or a true-to-the-recording version of “The Blower’s Daughter” - waaaah! Good job of going home and listening to the CD – because that’s what you should’ve done in the first place.

As for “Blower’s Daughter,” I have no idea what Damo thinks, but I am pretty tired of it right now. It’s the overplayed song that everyone latched onto when they finally discovered him, it showed up in movies and television shows…and while I appreciate the fact everyone has their favorite song and wants to hear it, but last night, the whiny girls screaming – no squealing, “play the real version,” were ridiculous. I had a girl sitting behind me, who after the excellent and gut busting “death metal” version, was praying, literally “Please play “Blower’s Daughter” – please, please, please God, please.” Seven more songs I had to listen to this whiny chick go off. That’s ruining MY concert experience.

So to Steamed Eskimo – lighten up – it’s a show, and Damien puts on the best around. He’s no "rock band wannabe" – and I implore you to listen to the song “Childish” if you want his opinion on the singer songwriters who take themselves oh so seriously in their music, and what he thinks of it. I suggest Ray LaMontagne or Ryan Adams (both of whom I love) – if that’s what you’re into. Until then, enjoy “O” and “9” on your home stereo, I-Pod or whatever else will keep you from complaining; and stay away from the live shows if they “steam” you so.
Whigged is offline   Reply With Quote