View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #63
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspirationDestination View Post
Some observations/opinions (not necessarily revolutionary or universally felt) from the aftershow hangout:

1) He has a pretty "pimped out" ride, kind of a bus limo. Probably better than most of our homes. Someone who could see inside the window said it seemed like a southwestern tile backsplash (I'm sure that it came with the bus) and bananas on the counter (I don't know why I find details like this interesting, but I do). "Someone" (we adore) was bold enough to say I wouldn't think you would have something like this. Damien said it's necessary to tour in the US, unless you take an airplane. It’s probably very comfortable between back to back shows hundreds of miles apart (but it WAS ostentatious, IMO).

2) Glen exudes warmth and is so comfortable around people. He kind of works the room/sidewalk. He has a lot of emotional intelligence, I think. He was almost fatherly/big brotherly with Damien. Damien was nice to everyone, but seemed more socially awkward and uncomfortable even with an adept wingman. He doesn't need "game" though, because ladies love a brooding, dark fella...

3) Damien has exceptionally kind eyes (you can sometimes tell in photos, but this is very apparent in real life).

4) I might donate an organ to charity, if he sang Camarillas in Philly or in Prospect Park! It's so honest (and ugly), but I love it. I suspect that he didn't want to release it (and that's why we didn't get it right away). I don't know if he will ever sing it live.

5) I have much more to say about his new outlook on life. It would really be nice to see it reflected in new music. It would just be great to have philosophical discussions with him (I'm sure I'm not alone in this dream) and challenge his perspectives a bit more. I think MFFF is more of a life transition album. I always have poster's remorse, so I'll just leave it at that.
Some observations about your observations (if I may be so bold!):

1) I love how attentive your post is to these details, I think it's awesome! I also notice a lot of similar things, but don't articulate them so wonderfully!

2) Was it a tour bus, or a pimped out airport shuttle type of thing? You said limo-bus which sounds like not a tour bus, so I'm curious

3) Did you tell Damien you'd donate an organ to hear that song? I'd be curious what his reaction was - he is a do-gooder, so maybe the organ donation would make it happen?

4) I love the image of Glen as kind of big-brotherly to Damien. What an interesting relationship history they have. Love that.

5) Re: Damien's outlook on life... I have to be honest that though I've been a fan of Damien's for 11 years, I haven't followed his interviews and banter much at all, so I don't know what he USED to say at shows. But I was frankly BLOWN AWAY by his observations and comments at the DC show about relationships and especially when he introduced "Maybe I'm Wrong". He is a very sage man, maybe he always was but he's clearly come a long way. AND... at the same time... he's clearly still "in the struggle", he's clearly still human and subject to complex emotions, as we all are. Yes, a long discussion about his lessons learned, over a bottle (or 80) of red wine would be amazing.

Thanks for sharing your observations! Why do you have poster's remorse??