View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #52
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d View Post
Damien owes us a new album because he's been promising us a new album for at least four years now.

June 2008:
http://newsweaver.ie/drm/index000268281.cfm?x=b11,0,w

October 2009:
http://www.hotpress.com/news/Damien-...s/5851043.html

It's not even worth going on into his sessions with Lillywhite and such...

But if Damien wanted to disappear and never make music, that's fine. But don't keep telling us you're recording a new album and then never do anything.

And the same goes for his personal life. Once he went in a magazine and talked all about the history with Lisa (that was already so blatantly obvious and well-known, anyway) the door is thrown wide open and can never be closed again.

i agree with you about lisa, he was public about their relationship and its been pretty public the tumultuous breakup of the band and of their relationship. I do view their relationship, and the public manner of their breakup as fair game for discussion here and have gotten in heated converations with folks on here about that.

I disagree about him owing us an album. no artist in any medium owes us anything. i think thats a dangerous thing to be suggesting. It suggests the artist works for us, the audience, and not themselves, which is ultimately the case with every artist. Damien could put an album out every single year until he died, to satisfy the audience, but does that equal good art, and does it make damien or any artist happy?

Just look at the albums like Smile by the beach boys which took what 40 years to be released, and Chinese Democracy was 20 years in the making? People were promised those albums every year by those artists.

Ultimately, damien can do whatever he wants. He can promise us for the next 5 straight years he is going to release an album "this year", or he could never make an album again, and return to painting and paris and italy. Or he could drop an album ala Radiohead out of nowhere tomorrow.

He doesnt owe us anything. Not album 3. Not another song. Nothing. That would obviously be a massive shame, but to say because he has "promised us" an album multiple times is silly and meaningless.

How many times have you seen an artist say they are working on an album and its going to come out soon, and it never does or comes out years later? Happens loads of times. Its common place in fact.

We have no idea what is going on. In the years since 2006 has he made several albums but scrapped them multiple times? Has he never gotten more than a few songs written? Has he been facing writers block? Does he have a whole bunch of songs written and its just a matter of months before album 3 is released? Is he going to release a double album? Has he had trouble with his label and thats whats causing the delay? the possibilities are endless.
radiohead33 is offline   Reply With Quote