View Single Post
Old 06-23-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

formal forsure. i'm in 12 grade and am 17years old and have been taking guitar/theory lessons since the 4th grade. i recently quit taking lessons about 5months ago. i quit learning. thought about paying some real high dollar prices for some classical lessons, but then my feelings for music changed.

my original plan was to attend Berklee School of Music as i had already talked to a professor who told me i would have no problems getting into their school. my goal in life from about 5 grade till earlier this year was to attend that music school and become a Doctor in the feilds of musical science(theory) and education so that i could be a college professor and teach somewhere. now things have changed. i came here from a background of "shredding" and progressive metal. i can play all kids of stuff from dream theater, steve vai, jason becker, marty freidman, yngwie malmsteen, all the top guitars/progbands, but yet the constant hearing of other guitarist putting eachother down and talking trash about other peopls playing abilities have killed my passion for that genere of music it. sure i can play guitar really well. i play a steve vai signature 7string guitar, but now it hangs on my wall, because i don't play that type of stuff anymore. immature kids killed my passion, but have cause me to find one i'm much much more happy with! acoustic, folk, soul, funk, jazz, and blues are now my passion. i still play technical songs just because i like to keep my fingers quick enough to be up to the challage if, which always happens, someone says "that kids sucks at guitar... he is full of sh*t" i'm always ready to have a little guitar off. i don't do it to be impressive though. just to put people in their place and make them abit more humble. i get made fun of becasue all i listen to now days is stuff like damien rice and when a kid talking trash sees a "hippie," as some people call me for an insult, pick up an electic guitar and shred. it makes them realize just because you don't play music that is about being flashyoesn't mean there is no skill in that musician or that they don't have the "feel" to play well. i don't want anyone to ever think i'm cocky either! i've learned to be humble, show respect, and enjoy and not onl will you enjoy playing more, but you'll quickly learn where music stands in your heart. if its really what you want and your passion or if its just a hobby you love to do!

i feel lessons a great! self tought isn't bad, but lessons can only make everything better!

oh and on a side note. i teach guitar lessons right now : )

Last edited by carvinC980t_kid; 06-23-2006 at 06:22 PM.
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote