View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #781
cille
creepycute

The development between the police and climate demonstrants during the past week is ENRAGING me!!!

Thousands are being arrested 'preventively' without having done anything, and put into Guantanamo-like cages w/o bathroom facilities nor privacy - which is against human rights, and certainly against any decensy, but I guess we're past human decensy(sp?).
Before the Summit week the police showed off these wonderful climate cages. Plus a wonderful new water cannon, which they aren't even allowed to use according to Danish law. WOW, aren't we all impressed and intimidated??
The Government has made special 'bully laws' before the summit, sending a clear message to the police that they can do pretty much what they want to protesters.
The so-called 'terror laws' are being put into 'good' use by allowing the police to tap activists' phones and surveil them without needing to have any suspicion of illegal activities.
Activists homes and hangouts are being ransaked w/o court order (terror laws again) and 'effects that can be used as weapons', such as ladders and art, is removed.
People who look like activists, which apparently means wearing a back-pack, are being arrested just for taking the bus.

The police are really violent and mob-like when stopping the demonstrations, and they won't allow the press to witness the arrests - in one case they took the demonstrant with them into a basement, where they made the arrest, in other cases they have used violence to keep away reporters.
The police are also beating up summit delegates - our guests!! - who are watching the demonstrations.

I feel like I don't live in a democracy where you can PEACEFULLY demonstrate and protest when you feel something is wrong anymore, still the majority of the danish population don't seem to care - they even agree with how the police+politicians are handling things. What's the next step towards fascism?