View Single Post
Old 05-04-2004, 03:04 AM   #10
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Okay Emmett- here's how I worked it out. I downloaded WinAmp here

http://www.winamp.combut tried to add in various flac plug ins and nothing worked.....

So..... I went and found Flac Frontend like Angela suggested and downloaded that here

http://members.home.nl/w.speek/flac.htm

It's a Zip exe. file that you have to extract and then launchand then a window opens up where it allows you to *add files* (multiple at a time by using control button to multiple select) Then go to the *decode* buttonand decompress the flac files. (As I understand it it works like Zip files only retains audio quality) As they decode they are saved to the same folder the original flac files are kept (unless you choose a different directory/file) and the file names are the same only the WinAmp icon is moved to the bottom half of the icon and when you hover over it it says FLAC file before being converted but WinAmp media file after conversion/decoding (these are the ones that are playable after conversion)

As you're decoding you'll get a DOS prompt window that shows theextraction process and you press any key when finished and DOS/exe window disappears. Then go back to your file containing the decoded files (once again, same file names but icon looks different with the WinAmp symbol moved down to theright bottomof the file icon) and double click and they should pop up ready to play in WinAmp. Quite the process and haven't tried any further conversion b/c they're playing on my computer right now, but may work on figuring out how to burn to CD to play in car or stereo or convert to another format (though isn't this considered a no-no?? [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img])

I was able to get BitTorrentdownloads (took forever though) of the Toronto (flac) and the Chicago (shn) show and both are playable now. Chicago sounds like a better recording (though the crowd was rude, but don't know if that's from the original recording conditions or the flac vs. shn file formats) I tried all of the other suggestions and this is the one that worked for me.

But basically what it comes down to is you have to extract/decode the compressed flac files to WinAmp media format and then they're playable. None of the other flac plug-ins worked for me, unless I did something wrong, but the SHN plug in for WinAmp made the files playable if in SHN format. (and I'm having some BitTorrent files come up as flac and some as shn) Whew!!! [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]This one was a chore to figure out (esp. for a non-techie!) Try it and let me know if it works for you, too! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]Good luck!!!

Edited by: SisterMidnight
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote