View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 02:55 AM   #111
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
My point is that you have the right to do whatever you want to do with your life, Just don't try to justify genetically impacting yourself with carcinogenics against the fact that power stations are depleting the ozone. Especially in the context that you can do that and still be responsible. The truth is that once cancer is in your DNA it will affect your family for generations, and that's not an opinion, it's fact. You see, it's not passive smoking which is the issue, it's cancer... and no, you don't have a right to pass it on.
i tried to refrain from responding to this because i get the feeling it's hitting too close to home or something, but i'm sorry this is simply wrong. it doesn't work that way, you don't pass cancer on anymore than you can catch it from someone else..

you either have an inherited genetic mutation that makes the cells weaker and causes a predisposition to cancer (in you and your family/bloodline) or you have an acquired genetic mutation from something in the environment (sunlight, smoke, well done meat) that can cause cancer, but you don't pass on acquired genetic damage to the next generation because it doesn't affect the reproductive cells, just the organs affected by the cancer.. if you have both then the risk increases

but beyond all that it's troubling to me when someone makes a sweeping value judgement about anyone elses level of responsibility or ethics or what they have the "right" to do as it relates to their private life. especially in matters as personal as childbearing and parenting without the benefit of knowing any of the people in question, or having done either of the former themselves.

it's just not anybody's place to do that. what you said isn't true or a fact, but if it were.. i have an inherited genetic mutation that can cause birth defects and deafness. do i have the "right" to have children and pass it on? does anyone else have the "right" to even ask that question? no they don't. it's a private matter and a personal choice.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote