Thread: Boston 5/22
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 04:30 AM   #23
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

Default My first listen

Hey Eskimo's!

I'm giving my recordings (s), yes that's plural - their first listen. I used two different types of recorders tonight and 2 sets of mics etc. I'm trying a new / smaller recorder that I'd like to transition to, thus the 2nd recorder which I had not felt confident with until tonight.

Bottom line on first listen of both:

Recording A - same recorder and mics as December - fantastic thus far. The acoustics in the Opera House are just fantastic. I was concerned that there would be too much bass because of my location, but it turns out I was close enough in line to the right stack to get a great recording.

Recording B - I finally got a very good, maybe excellent recording with the new recording. Consider my learning curve on that recorder somewhat complete. It's tougher to tell how good on this recording, it is not as loud out of the box. I'll know more tomorrow.

Of course, I'll share a raw recording in mp3 format with the Boston thread posters. That should satisfy you all until I can give it a bit of a listen and see if there is anything that can be improved.

The only two problems I can see are with things I couldn't control.

a.) Guy next to me with some loud claps at end of songs. A hoot from him every once and a while. I was able to lighten up that kind of thing on the last recording from December and expect similar results.

b.) Two young ladies behind me that needed to be thrown over the edge of the balcony. Ok, I'm not really that bad of a guy, but these are the type of people that talk through shows and then sing the wrong words. Thus far I have not picked them up on Recording A. Maybe the mics did their job.

One more note: All instruments sound full and clear again. Possibly better because of the acoustics - still blown away by the Opera House.

Sorry if I sound like an idiot right now. Just tired I guess.

More in the morning.

Dave

Blower's Daughter done proper

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbaptiste
yes we do, and we wanta hear how daveydave's tape ended up sounding!
daveydave is offline   Reply With Quote