View Single Post
Old 06-25-2006, 12:53 PM   #16
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvinC980t_kid
the problem is those of you who are saying that "you don't need to be technially good and shredding is worthless" are really just narrow minded. those people who are into the types of music like shredding can really feel the music and realize that the person playing has great feel and isn't just playing. you have to realize they are going to think the SAME thing about simple music like damiens.
Narrow minded my arse. Please don't make sweeping generalisations about people you don't know...I have one of the most random music collections, from Mendelssohn to Metallica, I'm not snobbish about what I listen to. And even if I didn't it wouldn't neccesarily mean I was being close-minded.

I can't remember the last time I heard a song where "shredding" was justified but thats besides the point. Some of those kind of players do put a great amount of emotion into their music. Others (Vai being a prominent culprit imo) play like robots.

I'm probably the best guitarist out of the musicians I know, or at least up there. I don't particulary get a kick outta that because like I've already said: any technique is merely a tool to be used in sculpting a song...a means to an end. I'd most likely be more proficient than Damien but not a chance in hell could I write a "Professor" or "Insane".

Using your logic the best music on the planet today should be being written by the single greatest musician. (Now we could argue all day about who that is so I'll just pick an example, say Petrucci) He's written some good music but I wouldn't rate him as one of the greatest in terms of emotive songwriting. You might (I don't know) but most people seem to prefer music which isn't neccesarily as technically complex but might have more emotional depth. Someone like Damien Rice mar shampla

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvinC980t_kid
you don't have to be good to put strong emotions into your music. listen to ben harper!! he isnt good at guitar!
It sickens and saddens me that you're equating simplicity with being a bad musician. It would appear you're the one being narrow-minded.
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote