View Single Post
Old 06-26-2006, 12:20 AM   #17
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

i'm now way shape or form narrow minded.. i love ben harper. i own every one of his cds. I just think he isn't good at guitar. he doesn't play well, but he does enough to get the point across. I NEVER said simplicty sucks. why the hell would damien rice be my favorite singer/songwriter? but those of you who say "some of the greatest composers broke out of theroy and expanded and ignored theory" don't know what they are talking about. you say you don't have to understand an instrument and what is behind it to be able to write a peice that uses everything from stringed instruments to wood winds to brass sections give me an example of an amazing composer who broke away from theroy and broke what theory is about? if you say people play a peice with out a key. its called atonal. there is something to justify everything in music. most of the famous composers we know of were gifted to easily understand music. they could listen and naturally know well this is this and that is that, which is how they could write such great peices. they just understood how it worked. doesn't mean you HAVE to have traning, but you cannot argue you do't have to understand it to write great peices. mendelson was mentioned and i've played peices by him that last 30minutes and goes between 5 different keys. know if you are gunna tell me he just picked notes that sounded good and that is all he had to do... how the hell could he ever write out the music and get everything to match. its NOT easy being able to write a peice for a french horn to go along with viola. it takes knowlage to be able to transcribe peices.

i already said you don't have to have knowlage to be a great player, but part of being MUSICIAN is knowing your intrustment. that is what sets the two apart. and real musician would understand the importance of what is behind music. to call me narrow minded and then say via has no feel and is just a robot is retarded. have you ever watched him play? if you watch him and say he has no emotions/feel is being a robot then there is no help for you

There is absoulty no excuse or reason to say that theory is worthless or stupid and doesn't do anything. I'm honestly surprised that someone who says they "are the best player out of everyone they know" would actually say that. well, you are right... you are the best PLAYER. not MUSICIAN. without thought being put into what is behind music we wouldn't have much. the ones who DID care set the path for everyone else to be lazy and posers.
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote