View Single Post
Old 06-26-2006, 12:34 AM   #18
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

penguinboy
yes i get what you are saying and when you said that "And Theoretical musicians need to learn to express themselves through the music and stretch the rules that they are bound to." you have to remember that these people who step into the world of musical science already have the feel and passion that makes them sound well. they are opining their mind and understanding what is behind that feel they have.

Music is an art. feel is a major part of that art. its like a painter. they paint their emotions alot of the times, but when you take someone who can just paint naturally and show them new techniques to paint and new styles its like taking a musician with feel and showing them theory and how to take what they have and know what they are doing and can do to make it better!

on a side not. i hate john petrucci and dream theater. i played bass in a band that played a whole dream theater album once. the guitarist could play guitar better the petrucci and has gotten a full ride scholar ship to berklee school of music. some say he plays like a robot and i can see why, but if you knew the passion and heart behind the music you wouldn't say he is just playing like a robot. you'd be watching his mouth moves as he is singing along everything he is playing! watching the, usually funny, faces he makes as he wails out an intense sweeping solo where he breaks into tap sweeping. if you say he has no feel then you just don't get music.

to be honest. i think those who think theory is worthless just don't get it and that is why they say that. i never thought it was worth my time and i hated learning it, but then i realized that it made me a real musician. not just another kid playing guitar well. i'd put my money on that if those of you who say it isn't need learned what us who actually care about what makes our music sound great then you would learn to love and realize how great and important. if i didn't know as much as i do i wouldn't be able to pick up and cello and start sight reading it.

the truth is being a musician is covering ALL aspects of music. not JUST playing or JUST theory. its both. lack of theory is why everyone is sounds the same when the play melodies and solo's on all their songs.
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote