View Single Post
Old 06-26-2006, 09:29 AM   #19
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Nobody said theory was useless. Nobody said technique was useless. But you only need as much of it as you need to fully express yourself. Technical ability is a tool to be used.

Kurt Cobain wasn't the world's greatest guitarist by a long margin...but he knew enough to express what he wanted and because of him how many million more musicians & guitarists are there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvinC980t_kid
I NEVER said simplicty sucks. why the hell would damien rice be my favorite singer/songwriter?
You called Ben Harper a bad guitarist because he is a simple guitarist. Ignoring whether you like his songs or not, that is what you said.

Quote:
but those of you who say "some of the greatest composers broke out of theroy and expanded and ignored theory" don't know what they are talking about.
We don't know what we're talking about? I see...using your logic music would never have evolved to where it is today.

Quote:
i already said you don't have to have knowlage to be a great player, but part of being MUSICIAN is knowing your intrustment. that is what sets the two apart. and real musician would understand the importance of what is behind music. to call me narrow minded and then say via has no feel and is just a robot is retarded. have you ever watched him play? if you watch him and say he has no emotions/feel is being a robot then there is no help for you
I'll assume you meant to type Vai there...yes I've seen him play both on DVD and in the flesh. Worst concert I've ever been to (and bear in mind I once brought 3 screaming girls to see a certain Westlife). His playing was vacuous at best.

Also if you read my post I said that he played like a robot not that he was one. He may even be a nice guy, I don't know.

I'm not sure why you think there's "no help for me"...again seems a narrow minded thing to say. If you can find something in Vai's music, good for you but as for me...well as Thom Yorke once described it, it's just buzzing like a fridge.

Quote:
I'm honestly surprised that someone who says they "are the best player out of everyone they know" would actually say that. well, you are right... you are the best PLAYER. not MUSICIAN. without thought being put into what is behind music we wouldn't have much. the ones who DID care set the path for everyone else to be lazy and posers.
I have plenty of knowledge of musical theory, thank you very much. I just don't look down on people that don't. You've created this distinction in your head...I'm not sure why, maybe as an ego boost...who says you need amazing knowledge of theory to know whats going on "behind music" anyway?

And when you talk about knowing about whats behind music...why stop at theory, why not the physics behind the instruments. The constructive and destructive interference that allow us to tune our instruments accurately? Nodes and the physics behind harmonics? Do you honestly believe we need that too?
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote